I use Quicken to track investments. Is there a way that index info [DJA, Nasdaq, S& P 500, etc] can

Options
can calculate daily changes in index as well as percent changes, like my investment report?

Best Answer

Answers

• weeskipr
    weeskipr Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes, for a partial answer. The index info is out there just like the market prices of securities. But to get daily changes I have to go to other web sites. How about it Quicken? I'm paying for the Premier version.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    weeskipr said:
    Yes, for a partial answer. The index info is out there just like the market prices of securities. But to get daily changes I have to go to other web sites. How about it Quicken? I'm paying for the Premier version.
    Once selected, the Indexes are downloaded daily during One Step Update, together with all your other owned or Watch List - tracked securities.
    Are you saying that this is not happening?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As mentioned above, Quicken includes support for several popular indexes. You can add the data for these indexes to your downloaded quotes by adding them to your Security List. When viewing the Security List, click on Choose Market Indexes at the bottom to pick the ones you want to follow.

You can also add other indexes to the list if you can figure out what tickers Quicken's quote provider uses for them. I particularly like the S&P 500 Total Return index, which includes reinvested dividends. The ticker for that is INDEX:SPXT.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Perhaps we are misunderstanding your question. Is it specifically the Price Day Change data for the indexes that you are not seeing in the Investing > Portfolio views?

It appears that Quicken only displays the Price Day Change for a security (including indexes) if it has a price for the security on the selected date i.e. the little clock icon is not displayed in the security's Quote/Price column.

In addition, there appears to be something flaky in QWin subscription R19.55 about the Price Day change display for the indexes, even if all the data is present. Others have reported issues recently with the Price Day Change for regular securities, and these issues may be related.

For example, I have data for the Dow Jones Industrial average for each day the market was open recently. After a fresh start of Quicken, if I go backwards from today  (July 14) one day at a time, I would expect to see a Price Day Change for Friday July 12 but it is blank. If I go to the 11th it is populated, +227.88. If I return to the 12th, it now shows +243.95.

This same pattern continues as I go backwards one day at a time. The first time I display a date that should have data it is blank, but if I go to the previous date, that date displays OK. If I then return to the blank date, it displays correctly. Weird!

This happens for all the indexes  and is 100% repeatable in a test file.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.