Can't stop adding shares

On 6/12/19 my advisor at Vanguard converted my Mutual Funds to a Brokerage Account. Thus removing shares from one account and adding it to another. All my funds are the Admiral shares. I have used Vanguard for over 30 years and had used it with the Windows Version of Quicken through 2013.

My issue is this. The actual transactions took place on 6/14/19. All is in balance except when I update the account ONLINE. Quicken forces 2,660.222 shares of VFICX and 1,634.937 of VFXSTX, (both of which I haven't owned in several years). I can delete the transactions, but they reappear the next time I update. I've tried manually removing the shares but it only doubles the amount that Quicken wants to add.

Is there a work around so I can keep my shares accounted for? Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments

• Harold Rosenbaum
    Harold Rosenbaum Member ✭✭✭
    VFICX Vanguard Intermediate-Term Investment-Grade Fund investor Fund
    VFSTX Vanguard Short-Term Invest-Grade Fund
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Was this a Single Mutual Fund account type changed to a Brokerage Account type? Assuming you completed a "Shares Transferred" from the old SMF to a newly setup Brokerage account, and all of the lots built correctly I would try a couple of things to resolve. Assuming Quicken for Windows.

1. Complete a backup in case something goes wrong before you start.
    2. Remove any online services from the SMF account.
    3. Complete a "Reset Account" on the Brokerage account. 
    4. Complete the transaction update on the Brokerage account and then review behavior.

If anything goes wrong revert to the backup you created. It might be the case that the Vanguard Quicken server might need a tweak with the conversion but that's a very long tech conversation on the phone with your broker after several transfers to get to the right person.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • Harold Rosenbaum
    Harold Rosenbaum Member ✭✭✭
    Funny that you said that. I started using Quicken Windows around 2000. Until 2012, I managed investments. Then I began to use Vanguard Advisor Services to handle my investments. I was put into VFICX Vanguard Intermediate-Term Investment-Grade Fund investor Fund and VFSTX Vanguard Short-Term Invest-Grade Fund among others.

As my funds increased in price, I was moved over to the same funds but from the Admiral versions (smaller fees). So then the VFICX &Y VFSTX funds symbols switched to VFSUX (Vanguard Short-Term Investment Grade Fund Admiral Shares & VFIDX (Intermediate-Term Investment Grade Fund Admiral Shares). I also had several other mutual funds that were upgraded to Admiral funds but I don't see them showing back up.

In 2014 I switched to the Mac version of Quicken and made sure everything came over in the conversion from Windows and that the balances were correct. I have seen this same problem in the old Mutual Funds Accounts; trying to add ghost shares.

The answer to one of your questions: Old Account all shares were sold and balance became ZERO. A new Brokerage Account was created and that's where I began to import transactions since June. I did not transfer any of the transactions from the old to new brokerage account; started it fresh.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Okay going to add @RickO to the thread as he's a QMac user, I'm all QWin but will try to add some details for a solution.

Clarifying:
    1. All shares were sold in the original account(s) on 6/12/19. These were SMF account types?
    2. Did you complete a "cash transfer" to the new account at that time?
    3. You completed setup of a new Vanguard brokerage account.
    4. You transferred cash into the new Vanguard brokerage account and "repurchased" new securities for that account.
    5. Now when you complete an update, Vanguard sends information to "add shares" of a security that you haven not owned in several years.

Backup the file and try a complete reset of the online services and see if that shakes it loose.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
This discussion has been closed.