Converting Quicken 5 .QDB files to Quicken 2010 - says Read/Only -

JohnCav
JohnCav Member ✭✭
I have been using a very old computer and really old software but's been doing its job (quicken 5 for windows). The computer is about to go down and I need to update. I have a version of Quicken 2010 on my new computer. I tried to restores the old files on the new computer but the new software doesn't find the old file extensions. Now I've been trying to open the QDB file in the new software and I just keep getting this error to pop up. "Quicken cannot open the data file because it is read-only. Do you want to restore it to a different location and restore it from there?"
So I tried moving the files to my computer, tried changing the attributes but nothing seems to work...same warning comes up.
Anyone have any ideas to try?

Best Answer

• JohnCav
    JohnCav Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Just wanted to say thanks to @Greg_the_Geek. He went way above and beyond to figure out how to get this done and we pretty well got most of it cleared up.

I guess you should never say "it can't be done" :)

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will find this article helpful, but will not like the outcome.
    There are good reasons to stay semi-current with software. This is one reason. You can attempt export/imports via QIF files, but this could be cumbersome and error prone.

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @JohnCav ,

Did you visit http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

to download the latest Mondo Patch for Quicken 2010? Especially if you never installed it.

What is the Quicken Software that you had installed on the old computer? Did you do a Manual Backup of the Quicken Data File?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• JohnCav
    JohnCav Member ✭✭
    Yes, I realize I should have done that but never really thought I'd be using Quicken for home until now. Thanks
  • JohnCav
    JohnCav Member ✭✭
    Quicken 5 for Windows is the software I have on my old computer
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You really mean Quicken 5 for Windows and not Quicken 2005?  Probably can not convert that old one. 

Quicken 1-6 and earlier are prior to Quicken 98.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• JohnCav
    JohnCav Member ✭✭
    Yes, I really mean Quicken 5 for Windows...it's that old.
    I get that fact I should have updated to a new version earlier but I was just hoping someone might now why Quicken 2010 keeps saying that the Quicken 5 QDB file is a read-only file
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Reading this other thread - I think you are doomed -
    It is for converting to Q 1998

It is no longer possible to convert from versions of Quicken older than Quicken 1998; we recommend that you open a new data file in the latest version of Quicken, for stability.

And here is a listing of the Quicken File Extensions -
    going all the way back to DOS days...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    JohnCav said:
    Yes, I really mean Quicken 5 for Windows...it's that old.
    I was just hoping someone might know why Quicken 2010 keeps saying that the Quicken 5 QDB file is a read-only file
    Probably a bogus error message - probably means it has no idea what the file is !!!
    Do you have ALL of the required files, and not just the QDB ?

Quicken Win 5 and 6

• QDB (primary file)
    • QSD
    • QEL
    • QMD

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @JohnCav ,

You are saying Quicken 5.

Please review this Article:  https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken?priorityCode=1348800000

Quicken 2004 or Quicken 2005 are not compatible with Windows 10.

You might need to start over.

What is the Copyright Date for Quicken 5?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just installed Quicken Deluxe 2004 on a Windows XP VM and File --> Open lists *.QDB as a Quicken File to open. If @JohnCav sends me a PM, I'll try converting his file for him.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • JohnCav
    JohnCav Member ✭✭
    How can I send you the QDB file (and the other files too as per @ps56k) to try to out @Greg_the_Geek
  • JohnCav
    JohnCav Member ✭✭
    Just a note if this doesn't work the Export/Import of QIF files might be the answer. I tried to do one account last night and it did import so it might work but it will take a while to export all the accounts created and then import them all. Thanks for that idea @thecreator
  • JohnCav
    JohnCav Member ✭✭
    Actually the idea came of Export/Import QIF files came from @GeoffG ...thanks
  • JohnCav
    JohnCav Member ✭✭
    It appears that the QIF files include investment info and for some of the accounts it wants me to upgrade to Quicken Home and Business for 2010...any one have an idea how I can do that since the site no longer provides that upgrade?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JohnCav, send you a PM.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • JohnCav
    JohnCav Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Just wanted to say thanks to @Greg_the_Geek. He went way above and beyond to figure out how to get this done and we pretty well got most of it cleared up.

I guess you should never say "it can't be done" :)
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice that everything worked out - especially that QW 2004 could open your .QDB

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.