Why does the Account Bar on the left side show an incorrect balance?

Quicken - Home, Business, & Rental Property, Year 2019, Version R20.15, Build 27.1.20.15

The account bar balance on the left side for my Savings account is exactly $1,000 less than the Ending and Online Balances in the register. See screenshot

Ending and Online Balances are correct.

All transactions have been reconciled.

I am showing "Current Balance" on the account bar, however, changing it to Ending Balance does NOT change the account bar balance.

I do NOT have any Savings Goals.

This is annoying, how can this be fixed?
Quicken Subscription | Windows 10

Best Answer

• Dan Glynhampton
    Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    LWuerth said:
    @Dan Glynhampton - No, never used them.
    In which case I'm sorry, I don't know what's caused it, but you might want to take a backup and then try my suggestion of creating a new account and moving the transactions from the bad account to the new one; it might resolve the issue for you even if the reason for it remains a mystery.
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004

Answers

• Valderi
    Valderi Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    The simpliest way is to restore a backup from a date where your balance was ok and fill up missing transactions from there. That's why every time I open Quicken, I do a backup after I reconciliate my operations so, I don't have to go back very far.

Do you use Mobile Quicken?
    If you do, I believe that when you want to transfer money between two accounts, you have to write to operations with the category "transfer", one to withdraw and another to deposit. That's why Quicken start to loose the balance. Until Quicken Mobile allow us to make real transfer directly between accounts, I use Quicken on desktop to write those transfer transactions. If this is your problem, don't forget to sign out, and sign in your Quicken cloud because Quicken mobile will keep the transactions and transfer it back to your Quicken desktop. 
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try validating: File,File operations, validate and repair

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• LWuerth
    LWuerth Member ✭✭
    Bob, thanks for your quick reply. I did this and it does NOT fix the issue. I did find some other things that needed correction in other accounts and none of them related to the account in question.
  • LWuerth
    LWuerth Member ✭✭
    Valderi, thanks for your reply. While this could resolve the issue, I'm afraid I am not as diligent as you with backing up my file and there would be far too many transactions to have to recreate to do this. Additionally, it does not technically solve the root cause of the issue, it just by passes it.

I do appreciate your response and I will begin to backup my file more frequently so that I can recover from issues like this going forward.

It would be far better for Quicken to investigate this and provide a solution since it seems to be a very common issue that i have seen reported MANY times before without true solutions. Very disappointed in Quicken.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    - Backups are automatic - and you can have ADDITIONAL backups prompted -
    - If you have reported this many times.... your forum postings only reflect 1 entry
    - strange that the difference is exactly $1,000 -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• LWuerth
    LWuerth Member ✭✭
    @ps56k , thanks for your reply. I have only posted this once as I have only joined the forum today. What I said was

> @LWuerth said:
    > ... it seems to be a very common issue that i have seen reported MANY times before without true solutions. Very disappointed in Quicken.

thanks for the info on backups, I'll check it out.
  • Dan Glynhampton
    LWuerth said:
    Quicken - Home, Business, & Rental Property, Year 2019, Version R20.15, Build 27.1.20.15

The account bar balance on the left side for my Savings account is exactly $1,000 less than the Ending and Online Balances in the register. See screenshot

Have you ever used Savings Goals in that account?  There seems to be a bug that results in a difference between the account bar and reality when Savings Goals are or have been used.

I had exactly the same problem where the difference between the account bar and the actual balance was the value of the last savings goal that I repaid into the account.

The way I fixed it was to create a new account, and then selected all of the transactions in the bad account and copied them to the new, and the account bar balance is correct for the new account.

• LWuerth
    LWuerth Member ✭✭
  • Dan Glynhampton
    Answer ✓
    LWuerth said:
    In which case I'm sorry, I don't know what's caused it, but you might want to take a backup and then try my suggestion of creating a new account and moving the transactions from the bad account to the new one; it might resolve the issue for you even if the reason for it remains a mystery.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something else you could try is to use file, File operations to create a copy of your file to see if it goes away in the copy.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• LWuerth
    LWuerth Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    @Valderi @Bob_L @ps56k @Dan Glynhampton

Thanks you ALL for the suggestions. I fixed the issue by performing the following steps: (Thanks @Dan Glynhampton for the suggestion)

1. Backed up my data file
    2. Created a new account manually without connecting it to my bank
    3. Copied all the transactions from the account with the incorrect balance in the account bar and pasted them into the new account.
    4. Deleted all the transactions from the account with the incorrect balance in the account bar.

NOTE TO QUICKEN SUPPORT: The balance of the account that had the incorrect balance was now listed in the account bar as $-1,000 EVEN THOUGH there were NO transactions remaining in the account.

5. Closed and Hid the account that had the bad balance in the account bar
    6. Linked the new account to my bank

A few transactions were downloaded to the new account but I was able to delete the original (copied transactions from the other account) and perform a reconciliation to the online balance.

For now, all is right with the world. @ps56k I set my backups to backup after each use and save 30 backups so I should be able to use your suggestion moving forward if this happens again. (And you KNOW it will!! :smiley: )

My OCD has finally subsided!! :)
  • Dan Glynhampton
    @LWuerth - Glad you have sorted it out.  One other thought, if you have any bill or income reminders associated with the old account you might need to patch them up to point to the new account.
This discussion has been closed.