Quicken crashes at start up Windows 10

So I have an ongoing problem with Quicken crashing. At first it was only when I tried to do one step update. So I downloaded the latest version, thinking this would fix the problem and now it won't start at all.
I called Customer Support and they led me through all of their protocol and it still doesn't work-they told me to get a 'local tech'-they couldn't help me anymore. They suggested I update Windows, which I have since done and I reinstalled quicken again. So, now I have the latest version of Windows and Quicken installed. I did the clean procedure before downloading Quicken this last time and renamed all the data files and reinstalled and it still it won't start. Also tried disabled my virus software etc. Still nothing.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Bill

Best Answers

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Have you tried starting Quicken without opening a data file by holding the Ctrl key down, double clicking the Quicken icon and continuing to hold down the Ctrl key until Quicken starts?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • billnyberg
    billnyberg Member ✭✭
    I will have to check Controlled Folder Access, it's whatever is default.

Yes, it will start without a data file, but will crash when opening any data file. The support person had me make a 'dummy-file' with no actual data and that will cause it to crash.
  • billnyberg
    billnyberg Member ✭✭
    Controlled Folder Access is not enabled.
  • billnyberg
    billnyberg Member ✭✭
    Also, I use AVG for anti-virus, but that is currently disabled. Is there something in Defender that I also need to disable?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please try the following:
    • Start Quicken without opening a data file.
    • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the broken Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
    • If the data file is beyond repair, try to restore your data file from the most recent Manual or Automatic backup. Go back to restoring successively older backups until you find a file that works
      https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

• billnyberg
    billnyberg Member ✭✭
    Yes, thank you for the help. I did already try this with the tech and none of my files could be opened.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the bottom of the barrel ...

Are you getting "Oops, something went wrong"?
    Have you recently enabled a VPN? If so, this might be the problem. Try turning the VPN off and see if that helps.

Please verify this:
    In Windows Control Panel / System / Advanced System Settings / Environment Variables ensure that both the TEMP and TMP variables point to a valid and existing folder, typically C:\Windows\Temp or  C:\Users\your_username_here\AppData\Local\Temp
    If they point to an incorrect or non-existent folder or drive change both variables to an existing folder on C:\ (or create one) and reboot Windows.

If the folder exists … does your Windows User Account have proper access rights to this folder?
    If Quicken cannot create and use temporary files, all sorts of malfunctions will occur.
    If the Temp folder is full of junk, clean it out. Delete all files and subfolders within the Temp folder structure that Windows allows you to delete. You may have to skip a few that are actively in use.

Make sure that files in the Temp folder are NOT accessed by cloud backup software at all.

Make sure that JAVA is installed and running.

• Greg_the_Geek
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Q data file? Are you using OneDrive or Google Backup?
  • billnyberg
    billnyberg Member ✭✭
    UKR/Greg_the _Greek-
    When I click the quicken icon on my desktop the window briefly opens then disappears and I get the "Quicken Crash Report" window.

Interestingly, if I try to open it directly from the data file it opens to the password prompt and then crashes after I enter my password.

The path to the data file is C:\Users\William\Desktop\Qdata.QDF and I'm signed in as William.

I verified the TEMP and TMP point to C:\Users\William\AppData\Local\Temp
    and I cleaned out the folder.

I am not using Google backup or OneDrive

I had a VPN along with AVG antivirus, but I have uninstalled both of them. I just have Windows defender running.

JAVA installed and running....still crashing

Thanks for all the help so far.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    If you're using Windows Defender, make sure Controlled Folder Access is disabled.
  • billnyberg
    billnyberg Member ✭✭
    Yes, I had to go in a turn that off after I uninstalled the 3rd party antivirus. It is disabled now and I'm still crashing.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    billnyberg said:
    I did the clean procedure 

If you haven't already, I suggest you perform both parts of the clean uninstall and install Quicken:  https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

Also, verify the Windows Internet Options have all Use SSL options unchecked and all Use TLS options checked on the Advanced tab.

If the issue persists, I suggest you boot Windows in safe mode and attempt to reproduce the issue.  If the issue does not reproduce with Windows booted in safe mode, you should incrementally enable services and startup programs to determine the source of the interference.

• billnyberg
    billnyberg Member ✭✭
    Thanks for this, unfortunately this didn't work.
    I did the clean uninstall according to the link you sent. Saving both files in one folder etc. Renamed the data files. Reinstalled Quicken. Still crashes.
    Verified the internet options.
    Booted into safe mode and it still crashes.

I'm at a loss. May be time to throw in the towel....
  • Greg_the_Geek
    What version of Windows are you using?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for this, unfortunately this didn't work.
    I did the clean uninstall according to the link you sent. Saving both files in one folder etc. Renamed the data files. Reinstalled Quicken. Still crashes.
    Verified the internet options.
    Booted into safe mode and it still crashes.

I'm at a loss. May be time to throw in the towel....
    You've now stated Renamed the data files twice.  That is not what the instructions ask us to do.  I just want to be certain you actually renamed (or removed) the Quicken shared folders and rebooted Windows before you installed Quicken. 
  • billnyberg
    billnyberg Member ✭✭
    Its windows 10. I may have misspoke saying data files instead of shared folders, but I can assure you I did this step by step with tech support and very carefully again by myself following the instructions on the linked page. Over 2 hours with the tech and at least that much again by myself and with the help here. I do appreciate the help, don't get me wrong-just a bit frustrated at this point.
    Thanks for your time.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    What build of Windows 10?
  • billnyberg
    billnyberg Member ✭✭
    Looks like it's the Ver 1803 build 17134
  • billnyberg
    billnyberg Member ✭✭
    Yes! This worked. Thank you Greg the Geek!
This discussion has been closed.