Export reports showing $0 categories

Options
I use 3 Quicken files, all have identical income & expense categories. Is there a way to export reports to Excel including zero dollar categories? My goal is to merge the reports in Excel to provide a report with income & expenses from all 3 files. If I can't export the zero dollar categories then there is a lot of row insertion in Excel that is time consuming and error prone. I recall a check box for 'include zero dollar categories' when customizing reports in previous versions, but it seems to have disappeared. Is there a way to do this?
Quicken user since 1993

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    The reports filter transactions.  For a category to appear in the report, the category must appear in a transaction in the report.  To coerce your desired behavior, I suggest you create one or more dummy transactions.

Note: The prior functionality you recalled was expanded to an Amounts pull-down menu on the Advanced tab.
  • TZQuick
    TZQuick Member ✭✭
    Options
    Dummy transactions sound like the trick. Is there a way to use a spreadsheet (or some other program) to create a .qfx file to import the transactions? I'll have to create a transaction for each unused category for each file for each reporting period. That ends up being a lot of manual input. It would make it simple if I could start with a spreadsheet with a zero dollar transaction for each category then change the date each reporting period to import the transactions.
    Quicken user since 1993
  • TZQuick
    TZQuick Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you very much Sherlock. I found a nice Excel Add-In called XLS2QIF which, as the name implies, converts an Excel file to QIF. I exported my Category List to Excel, then create a $0 transaction for each category, created a Category Account in each of my Quicken files, as you suggested, then imported the transactions using the QIF file into the Category Account in each file. I run my reports quarterly, so I simply change the date on the transactions in the Excel file, use the utility to create a new QIF file and import them into the Category Accounts. My report exports now line up easily making my task SO much simpler! Thanks again.
    Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.