How do I properly enter the merger/acquisition of companies?

ToGo109
ToGo109 Member ✭✭✭
I have a situation where and existing company that I did not previously own acquired a company that I own. It downloaded from my broker in a way that shows I sold a company for $0 and bought a company for $0 but that improperly records a capital loss for the sold company and doesn't properly show what the cost basis of the new company should be.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Which stocks specifically so we can look into the details? Generally an all stock deal is straightforward Corporate Acquisition, but lately they have been stock/cash affairs and in some cases spinoffs with that.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • ToGo109
    ToGo109 Member ✭✭✭
    It's a straightforward corporate acquisition. Fiserv absorbed First Data. There is also some cash for fractional shares. Unlike the Windows version that had Corp Acquisition as a transaction type, the Mac version doesn't. I think I have a solution.
    Step 1) Remove Shares - First Data
    Step 2) Add Shares - Fiserv. For each lot, setting the acquisition date for each and the cost basis for each.
    Not sure what to do with the cash for fractional shares.

What do you think?
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    No Corporate Acquisition transaction type for QMac? That's an absolute must have.

With your method, when you add shares, add the fractionals to sell and match the cash entry. Looks like the ratio was 0.303 of Fiserv, per First Data share. So 100 First Data shares gets you 30.30 Fiserv on the acquisition. Selling the 0.30 shares as an example against the cash received, and let price default.Or complete a Realized Gain transaction if QMac supports it. 

Or if you don't really care about how the capital gain/loss is presented in QMac you can just record a Misc Income/Int Income/Div Income transaction.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • ToGo109
    ToGo109 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Yes, there are so many fewer transaction types available in QMac. Not sure what they were thinking - Windows users are more serious about investments than Mac users. There is no way to adjust Realized Gain in QMac as well. Thanks to Fidelity, I was able to discern the lots by original acquisition date and cost basis. But for the cash part, I will just record them as Misc Income, accepting that my capital gains reported will not be accurate.
    Thanks for your input. And Quicken, please take note of these short-comings in QMac.
This discussion has been closed.