Can't add old entry to a Mutual Fund account

I lost all of my investment data on Quicken when our house burned down 2 years ago. Last year, I went through and added all the add/remove share information so I could get my cost basis again. Today, I noticed I still had a placeholder entries for one of my mutual funds. As I was double checking all my entries, I found I had the year wrong on one of my Add shares entries. I had 10/21/1991, instead of 10/21/1992. When I tried to change it, I got a message that Quicken is not responding. I could either close the program or wait. After waiting a while, I ended up closing Quicken. I decided to try deleting the entry and see if I could add a new one. It let me delete the entry, but I had the same problem with Quicken not responding when I tried to add the new entry. Just for grins, I tried to enter the same transaction, but I used today's date. It entered just fine. Any suggestions on what I can try to get my 10/21/1992 entry added? I am running Quicken Premier 2019 for Windows Version R20.15 Build 27.1.20.15. Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried validating your Quicken data file?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • I'm trying that now. Does it take a while? It has been on checking stock splits for quite a while.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    It depends on the size of your data file and the number of transactions.
  • I don't think my file is unusually large. It's been less than 2 years since I started using Quicken again. I did add as much investment information as I could.
    I like Quicken and have beem using it for many years, but I always seem to run into issues with the data file.

I've been reading another post about getting stuck on checking stock splits. Sounds like it is a known issue without an official fix, but someone found a way to correct it. I guess the only way to get out of this is to force close Quicken? Fortunately, I have a recent back up if something happens.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7352160/validate-and-repair-or-file-export-qxf-stuck-on-checking-stock-splits
  • Greg_the_Geek
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Are you using OneDrive, Drobox or Google Backup?
  • I am using OneDrive
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Move your data file out of the OneDrive folder. That can cause file corruption. It should be in C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Quicken.
  • Ok, I will do that.
  • Should I move just the data file or the whole Quicken folder?
  • Without moving the file, I did the suggestions of the post I found except I repaired the price history rather than delete it. It did find an error. I, then did the Rebuild Investing Lots followed by the Super Validate File.

After that was done, I was able to enter my 1992 entry! Thanks for all of your help. You pointed me in the right direction.

I will still move the file off of OneDrive once I find out if I need to just move that file or the entire folder. Thanks, again.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    You can move the entire Quicken folder. Double click your Quicken data file to open it from the new location.
  • Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.