Entering Transfers Between IRA Accounts

I want to enter a custodial transfer of funds between IRA accounts into Quicken. When I enter the custodial transfer as "Cash Transferred into Account" it results in a ContribX in the Action column where it should be a XIn because the custodial transfer is not a contribution into the IRA but IRA funds being transferred from one IRA account to another IRA account. How can I get the transfer to result in XIn in the action column?

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    "How can I get the transfer to result in XIn in the action column?"

You can't - at least not directly.  Quicken is programmed such that cash coming in is a contribution.  

When I have need to transfer in cash assets to an IRA account and not have it identified as a contribution, I have transferred MM shares using the Shares Transferred function between investment accounts.  

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    "How can I get the transfer to result in XIn in the action column?"

You can't - at least not directly.  Quicken is programmed such that cash coming in is a contribution.  

When I have need to transfer in cash assets to an IRA account and not have it identified as a contribution, I have transferred MM shares using the Shares Transferred function between investment accounts.  
  • Gary
    Gary Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the help q_lurker!
This discussion has been closed.