Quicken Wants to Add or Delete Shares...?

Hi - I recently upgraded to QM2019 and am still getting used to it, but it's working OK so far.

I've noticed that sometimes in the investment accounts there is a "grey" transaction appearing before the earliest transaction in the register that wants me to add or delete shares to get something to balance.

I don't understand what this is or why Quicken wants to do it. It appears as though Quicken somehow has two different share balances for a security that don't reconcile and it therefore wants to make an adjustment.

However, as far as I know, the only share balance it has is that which is calculated by adding up all of the additions and subtractions from the investment register (I don't do any online account connecting of any kind). Can someone please try to explain to me what's going on here? It spooks me a little, and I can't find any explanation for it in the (rather superficial) help document.

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Scott Schmidt
    Scott Schmidt Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the info. Th only problem is that I don't use any online connections to my brokerage accounts, or have my data in the Quicken Cloud. So how it is comparing my share balance to the FI share balance??
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Did you import this file from another version of Quicken? It could be trying to reconcile to the values it had from that file.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Scott Schmidt
    Scott Schmidt Member ✭✭
    Yes I did import from QM2007. If this is the reason, I wonder if it will keep trying to do it forever. Does anyone else have this issue?
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Just delete the placeholder, replacing it with a fixed transaction if needed to make the balances correct.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.