Chase Bill Pay vs. Intra-bank Funds Transfer

Options
I bank with Chase and have a checking account, savings account, and credit card account through Chase. I am able to transfer funds between my checking account and savings account directly from the Quicken register because I have Bank Bill Pay set up through Chase, which allows for Intra-bank Fund transfers.

I am wanting to pay my Chase credit card bill from my Chase checking account directly through Quicken without having to use the Bank's website or mobile app. I'm assuming I could do this through a traditional Bill Pay payment, but since the checking account and credit card account in question are both tied to my Chase account, I've noticed that when creating a transaction and checking the box for it to be an online payment, I have the option of choosing "Transfer" rather than "Payment", and my Chase credit card is one of the accounts listed as an option to transfer funds to from my checking account.

What happens when you "transfer"  money from a checking account to a credit card account rather than sending it as a payment through Bill Pay? Does it accomplish the same thing and pay the bill, or will I cause myself all kinds of problems by doing that? I'm asking mostly because with Bill Pay, there is a weeklong delay between when you send the payment and when it might be completed, whereas intra-bank funds transfers are nearly instantaneous, and if I could pay my Chase credit card bill by initiating an intra-bank funds transfer from my Chase checking account rather than sending it as a payment through Bill Pay, I'd prefer that.

I am using Quicken Deluxe 2019 for Mac (version 5.12.0) on macOS Mojave (version 10.14.6). Any insights are appreciated.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Austin

This is a great question and thank you for taking the time to share it with the Community!

I don't use Chase myself, but I did a little research and according to the information I found, a intra-bank transfer does accomplish the same goal and pays the bill since a transfer is technically "depositing" funds in the secondary account.

I also located this document from Chase that may provide some additional information - https://chaseonline.chase.com/content/secure/pt/document/tr_shared_userguide_p.pdf, although I would recommend contacting the Chase Online Banking Team directly to verify.

I hope this information is helpful and please let us know if there are any further questions/concerns the Community may assist with.

Thank you,

Sarah

Answers

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Austin

This is a great question and thank you for taking the time to share it with the Community!

I don't use Chase myself, but I did a little research and according to the information I found, a intra-bank transfer does accomplish the same goal and pays the bill since a transfer is technically "depositing" funds in the secondary account.

I also located this document from Chase that may provide some additional information - https://chaseonline.chase.com/content/secure/pt/document/tr_shared_userguide_p.pdf, although I would recommend contacting the Chase Online Banking Team directly to verify.

I hope this information is helpful and please let us know if there are any further questions/concerns the Community may assist with.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Thanks @Quicken Sarah! I appreciate it!
This discussion has been closed.