Check Print verification window hidden?

The last few times I've used Quicken to print a paper check, the pop-up dialog to verify that the check has printed OK has been hidden (if I use utilities to kill Quicken, I see it appear after the main window has been closed). This is getting annoying, and I'm worried that the datafile might get corrupted by manually killing Quicken - anyone else experience this and/or how do I 'fix' it?

Best Answer

• Steve Nelson
    Steve Nelson Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I tried something different today and I got the verification dialog :)

After making the paper check, I saved the datafile, exited Quicken normally, re-started Quicken and went to the File-Print Checks menu item. I then selected "Print First Check" (I only had 1 check to print), and as soon as it printed, I got the 'Did the check print' dialog :) I'm not sure which of those steps might have avoided my issue, but I'll try them one at a time next time I print paper checks.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried Alt-Tab to rotate among open Windows applications?
    What version and release of Quicken are you using? Click Help / About Quicken to get this information.
  • Steve Nelson
    Steve Nelson Member ✭✭
    I tried Alt-Tab, but the verification doesn't show up in the list...
    I've got Deluxe 2019, Ver R20.15, Build 27.1.20.15
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Steve Nelson

Thank you for that additional information, although I apologize that you have not yet received a follow-up response.

May I ask, do you use multiple monitors either currently or at some point in the past?  

Is it at all possible that the pop-up dialogue window might be opening on a different screen?

If not, and you haven't already, I would recommend upgrading to the newest release for Quicken 2019 R21.16 and let us know if this behavior continues.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Steve Nelson
    Steve Nelson Member ✭✭
    Sarah, I do use 3 monitors (my 4th is disabled from the windows' multi-monitor screen), and I don't see it pop up on any of the other monitors...I suppose it could be trying to pop up on the disabled monitor, but the fact that it does show up on my main monitor after I kill Quicken sort of tells me that it isn't.
    I update my Quicken whenever it tells me that there is a new release, and I think it updated again a day or 2 ago, so I'll see what happens next time I print a paper check.
  • Steve Nelson
    Steve Nelson Member ✭✭
    OK, I just printed out my paper check for church, and noticed something that may be the issue...I got the dialog "Select Checks to Print: Checking", and pressed the OK button (to print). The check printed just fine, but that same dialog is still here and active (when I hover the mouse over the OK, Print First Check, or Cancel buttons they highlight in blue). As I remember, this dialog used to go away, and I'd get the verification dialog (did checks print OK).
    I seem to remember that in the past, I'd press the OK button (on this Select Checks... dialog) again, and another check would end up spooled to the printer - after doing this a couple times, I'd end up killing Quicken with Process Explorer).
    I'm going to let this Select Checks dialog sit here while I go to church to see if by chance it finally is replaced with the Verify dialog...
  • Steve Nelson
    Steve Nelson Member ✭✭
    Follow-up...
    After 3 hours (while I was at church), the Select Checks dialog is still the active dialog on screen, nothing had changed.
    I clicked the Cancel button, and that dialog was dismissed, but the "Write Checks..." dialog is still visible, but all of Quicken (including the Write Checks dialog) are gray and not responsive to any clicks; I suspect that everything is waiting for the modal Verify dialog to be dismissed, but that dialog (where you Verify that a check has printed) is not visible anywhere. I attached a monitor to my 4th video output and activated it, and that dialog isn't on that screen either. It doesn't show up in the Alt-Tab list of windows.
    Interestingly, if I minimize all open windows (mouse click in the bottom-right corner of the screen), the gray Quicken windows will minimize, but whenever I bring any other window (Outlook, Chrome, etc) back up, the gray Quicken window will come back too (still unable to click any part of them).
    I'm about to 'kill' Quicken using Process Explorer to see what happens...
    OK, I killed it and didn't see the Verify window come up. I think before when I did see it, I'd clicked the OK on the still active Select Checks... dialog multiple times.
    Hopefully, this might give you some idea of what's going on???
  • Steve Nelson
    Steve Nelson Member ✭✭
    BTW, here's my version info:
  • Steve Nelson
    Steve Nelson Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I tried something different today and I got the verification dialog :)

After making the paper check, I saved the datafile, exited Quicken normally, re-started Quicken and went to the File-Print Checks menu item. I then selected "Print First Check" (I only had 1 check to print), and as soon as it printed, I got the 'Did the check print' dialog :) I'm not sure which of those steps might have avoided my issue, but I'll try them one at a time next time I print paper checks.
  • OK, the last time I made a paper check, I set it up, but didn't use the 'Print Checks' button in the dialog. I dismissed the dialog and went to File/Print Checks and again, everything worked as it should.
    I'm going to try the 'Print Checks' button in the dialog again to see if that loses the verification window.
This discussion has been closed.