Where can I learn more about how to use Quicken 2019 Home and Business to manage my rentals

I'm having a really hard time figuring out the proper way to setup my rental property and tenants in Quicken 2019 Home and Business since all the helpful tabs and centers are gone. Research on setting them up talks about setting up accounting software for property managers not for landlords. When I google how to setup a tenant in Quicken 2019 Home and Business "all" the information that comes up in Google refers to the apparently popular property management version that no longer exists. Books I've found do not reference rental properties and tenants specifically outside of Quicken's rental property manager module and say things like just click on the rental center so not helpful that way. Can anyone point me in the direction of a book or resource that would help me learn how to setup Quicken for a rental property? 1 property, 5 tenants, that's it. Maybe another property next year.

Thanks all.

Joe

Best Answer

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried Help from within Quicken?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • CoolHandJoe
    CoolHandJoe Member ✭✭
    I have tried Quicken Help but nothing comes up for the words rental, landlord, and tenant. I haven't tried Quicken Support just because I was under the impression that they would only deal with non-config issues. Also, because of how often I have to deal with support for software in my day to day I have all but lost hope that I will ever get anything better than what is found by the community or by Google for the first tier of any given software company. I am also quickly losing trust in Quicken as a company.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a whole section on Rental Properties in Quicken Help. Have you read the whole section?

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • CoolHandJoe
    CoolHandJoe Member ✭✭
    This is what my Quicken Help looks like. I would have gladly digested the contents of your help file.
  • CoolHandJoe
    CoolHandJoe Member ✭✭
    This is my version
  • CoolHandJoe
    CoolHandJoe Member ✭✭
    It appears they've completely removed any information about rental properties from Help even while still advertising 2019 Home and Business for rental properties. The information was there but they removed it that's interesting. Apparently, they haven't merged the rental into Home and Business they've almost completely killed it off. There's been lots of discussion in other forums about how the new owners bought Quicken to sell for more later but maybe they're getting rid of a competitor. For me even QuickBooks seems easier right now because there's more information available.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you're using the Canadian version. That's different from the US version.
    I could be wrong, but I thought Q H&B Canada has never supported Rental Property Management features.
    Sounds to me like your best option is to look for a Canadian version of Quickbooks.
  • CoolHandJoe
    CoolHandJoe Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    > @UKR said:
    > So you're using the Canadian version. That's different from the US version.
    > I could be wrong, but I thought Q H&B Canada has never supported Rental Property Management features.
    > Sounds to me like your best option is to look for a Canadian version of Quickbooks.

That may be the next step but, I don't need all the features necessarily just some guidance on setting up the categories, tags, etc to properly track the info specifically. That help file posted by Greg appears to have the info I need.

So, then the question is whether the rental property info is in the help file of the American version of Quicken Home and Business 2019 version R16.22 or not to see if it's because I have the Canadian version.

Anyone out there willing to send me the help file from 2017 Home and Business that includes the rental property setup I would appreciate it. For 2019 it's in C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Help and it's called quicken.chm. The .chm identifies it uniquely as a Microsoft Help File format if you're looking.

Quicken support if you're listening I'd love a copy of that help file. :)
This discussion has been closed.