How can I remove unnecessary back-up files in the "File" menu?

Sorry for the silly question, but I need help in removing outdated back-up files that are listed at the bottom of the File menu in Quicken 2019. Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

• David Christopher
    David Christopher Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I have never seen 'literally' backup files in that location; so, I assume the files you see are old files you used to use. You can go to the location the file is stored in and delete them.

OR most likely, you should move the files to a different location so if you need them in future for some reason. Once you have the files moved, click on them in the file menu and Quicken will not be able to find the file and ask you if you want to take the file name off the list at bottom. 

Answers

• David Christopher
    David Christopher Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I have never seen 'literally' backup files in that location; so, I assume the files you see are old files you used to use. You can go to the location the file is stored in and delete them.

OR most likely, you should move the files to a different location so if you need them in future for some reason. Once you have the files moved, click on them in the file menu and Quicken will not be able to find the file and ask you if you want to take the file name off the list at bottom. 
  • d&kepps
    d&kepps Member ✭✭
    Brilliant, David Christopher! Thanks for the help.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

How to remove obsolete File or Backup Path entries from Quicken Menus

New with Quicken 2018+:
    When selecting a file name from the bottom of the File Menu and the file cannot be found, you will get prompted for an action or if you want to remove the name from the file list.

Older Quicken versions:
    You can eliminate incorrect or unused Quicken data file names or Backup Path names if you so desire.

But please be very, very careful when doing it and retain a "before image" backup copy of the .INI file you are about to edit.

Close Quicken.

Edit with Notepad or any other ASCII text editor the file
    "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Quicken\config\QUSER.INI"
    or "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\Quicken\config\QUSER.INI" for older Quicken versions. Replace "username" in the path with your Windows account name.

In this file you will find lines looking similar to these:

[RecentFiles]

1=C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\test

2=C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\UKR

3=C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\UKR2005-2006

4=C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\Ukr2004

[RecentBackupPaths]

BackupPath5=

BackupPath4=I:\Quicken Backup\

BackupPath3=E:\Quicken Backup\

BackupPath2=J:\Quicken Backup\

BackupPath1=H:\Quicken Backup\

Do NOT delete any lines from this file!

Just blank out the name portion after the '=' (equal sign).

[Recent Files] refers to your current "1=..." data file and 3 previously used ones.

Do not blank out "1=..." or Quicken will not know which file to start with.

[RecentBackupPaths] refers to your Manual Backup file paths, "BackupPath1=..." being the most recently used path name.

Save the changed file.

Start Quicken.

Review the results in the File menu for recent data files and/or the Manual Backup menu for Backup paths.

• d&kepps
    d&kepps Member ✭✭
    Thanks to you too, UKR! David Christopher's was all I needed, but I do appreciate your response and am grateful to you for taking the time to send it.
This discussion has been closed.