Do I need an Intuit PW to open my local QW2016 data file after upgrading

mmackado
mmackado Member ✭✭
after windows 10 upgrades caused problem with my old Q2014 version, finally upgraded to Q2016 with CD that I had here unused, finally got it installed but now I get a splash Intuit screen asking for PW to access my local Data file, I do not want to upload any data and only want to use this version locally in my HD, all Intuit services already expired for this version according to the info available here, How do I access my local Data without an Intuit account?

Best Answer

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You need to download/install the Quicken 2016 R19.5 Mondo patch from http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @mmackado ,

Go to: https://www.quicken.com/  Click Sign in and My Account. You need to create a Quicken User ID to work with Quicken 2016 and newer versions.

Now, you need to uninstall Quicken 2016 and start over.

Hi All,

This is for all versions of Quicken 2016 for Windows not just Deluxe.

Open Quicken. Go to File > Backup and Restore > Backup your Quicken Data File(s) before starting.

Firefox 32-Bit from here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Waterfox 64-Bit from here: https://www.waterfoxproject.org/

Create a New Folder on the Desktop. Rename the Folder, New Briefcase, which can be done in Windows 10, too. Always rename a New Folder, because when you create New Folders within any folder and don't rename Folders, Windows names the folders, New Folder, New Folder (2) and so on. You won't be able to find anything without renaming New Folders.

Once you have done that, start Firefox or Waterfox and go into Tools then click Options. On the General Tab, find  Downloads, then Under Downloads see Save files to:. Click on the Browse Button. Click Desktop then click on New Briefcase. Saves you the trouble of having to tell where to Save the Downloads to and makes the downloads, easier to find, right on the Desktop..

I am assuming that you already have the Installation Program for Quicken 2016 Flavors.

Close Quicken. Do not uninstall it.

Re-open Firefox or Waterfox and click on the link below for downloading QCleanUI.exe

Download QcleanUI.exe from this link:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken?priorityCode=1348800000

Left-click on QCleanUI.exe to start the Download and click Save. Left-click on MSIClean.exe to start the Download and click Save.
    Create a new sub-folder of Briefcase Folder and name it QClean. Move both QCleanUI.exe and MSIClean.exe into QClean. Now simply open QClean. Right-click on QCleanUI.exe  and left-click Run as administrator. Choose to Clean All Versions. Do not use Programs and Features to uninstall your Quicken Program.

Use Programs and Features to remove iSeek AnswerWorks English Runtime, which Quicken installs.

Restart the computer. After the computer restarts, use Explorer to delete / no need to rename the following folders: (Except if you also have other Intuit Products installed, expand those folders and delete the Quicken folders, only.)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\AnswerWorks 5.0

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Quicken

C:\ProgramData\Intuit

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Roaming\Intuit

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Roaming\Quicken

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Local\Intuit

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Local\Intuit_Inc

Empty the following folders, with the exception of Files in use:

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Local\Temp

C:\Windows\Temp

Run Disk Cleanup.

Don't download the Installer again if you already have it.

Download CCleaner Free from: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner

Once you have CCleaner Free installed, run the Cleaner portion first.
    Analyze first and Run Cleaner.
    Click Registry on the Left.
    Scan for Issues.
    Fix selected Issues. Then Run it again because on x64 Bit Installations, it doesn't fix all on the first pass.

Right-click on the Quicken Program Installer and click Run as administrator.

Once the program is installed a Window will Popup concerning Program Updates click Cancel.

Restart the computer.

Open your browser.

Go to: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
    Scroll down to Quicken 2016 and download the following Mondo Patches:
    R8 Mondo, R12 Mondo , R16.1 Mondo
    and finally R19.5 Mondo.

Once downloaded, install Mondo Patch R8, R12, R16.1 and finally R19.5 Mondo.

Once Mondo Patch R19.5 is installed, you can then open Quicken, but do not launch Quicken until Mondo Patch R 19.5.

(Users have reported that after installing and updating Quicken for Windows 2016, then updating to the latest patch, they are unable to open Quicken. This issue occurs because older versions of Quicken require an intermediary patch in order to update to the latest release.)

Now click on Quicken to Open Quicken. It will not find any Quicken Data Files, because it doesn't know where to look. Choose to Restore a Backup Quicken Data File. Let Quicken Convert it, before using One Step Update.

When you go to Register the program again, be sure to click Already have an Quicken ID.

You need to complete the Survey portion of the Registration, in order for Next to become clickable.

Before using One Step Update, check your Converted Quicken Data File.

Note 1: You do not need the previous version of Quicken installed to reinstall and convert any Quicken Data Folder. When you restore an older Backup, Quicken will convert the Data File after restoring it, as long as it isn't too old.

Note 2: Each Quicken Data File gets registered, including existing Quicken Data Files.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• mmackado
    mmackado Member ✭✭
    thanks guys, but I seem to be getting conflicting suggestions, I'd like to try the simplest thing first, looks like my Q16 install needs an intuit account --as mentioned above-- to work, I did have a very old Intuit account, so Q16 used this old ID during the install but the PW was deleted and Intuit needs a new one, but when I go thorough the 'forgot password" steps Firefox reports a "Potential security risk ahead" issue with the security certificate, so I haven't reset my PW yet because of this, do you know if it's safe to continue the PW reset and if this is just a false alert?

Also is this "Quicken 2016 R19.5 Mondo patch" was issued by Intuit? this patch apparently releases Q16 from the need to use an Intuit PW to work with my Data file locally?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Just download and install the 2016 R19.5 Mondo patch from the link I posted. The R13 patch converts Quicken from using an Intuit ID to a Quicken ID. Intuit ID's are no longer valid. If you don't have a Quicken ID, you need to go to quicken.com and create one.
  • mmackado
    mmackado Member ✭✭
    Created the Quicken Id and tried the R19.5 patch, but it didn't work, came back with error "unable to check for upgrades, the server file failed to load"
  • thecreator
    Hi @mmackado ,

The procedure was Archived, since Quicken 2016, is no longer supported by Quicken.

I copied and updated the procedure above.

It is the only procedure that will work.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    My error - We will just take this out -
    why not just move up to the free Quicken 2017 version -
    download and install that version -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Greg_the_Geek
  • thecreator
    ps56k said:
    why not just move up to the free Quicken 2017 version -
    download and install that version -
    Hi @ps56k ,

Where is the link for the Free Quicken 2017 Version?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    OOPS - SORRY -
    went a little too far..... yeah - NO free QW 2017 - it was for QW 2013 -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• mmackado
    mmackado Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > Patch Error: Unable to check for updates, the server file failed to load

I tried to create a second admin account, but the instructions here (and video)do not apply to the latest w10 edition (1809) I'm using, the regular user menu has changed, the 'settings' menu is different under the Admin account login, so I clicked there under "Other users" --> add someone else to this PC---> but it won't work either, some error about 'this snap in may not be used with this edition.." , old control panel? , no luck either, spent a couple of hours here just trying to figure out how to 'create the admin account' now on this latest w10 upgrade that has changed the way it used to work, will try again later with a fresh mind, but what an ordeal, this is why I never installed Q16 3 years ago when I first bought it, just a few weeks before I had all kinds of issues with Q14, upgrades, that took a week or more to resolve with Intuit support.......
  • thecreator
    Hi @mmackado ,

The procedure above is the only one, that works.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Just asking ......
    could you install QW2013 and would it open this QW2016 file ?
    --

How to use an intermediate version to convert to a newer version
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken
    If you did have an older version and can find your data files you can convert them to 2013 for free.  You can download 2013 for free using the convert article in that link. It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• thecreator
    Hi @ps56k ,

The answer is no. Yes, one could install Quicken 2013 Deluxe, but it won't open Files created with newer versions. You would need to start completely over and enter Transactions, manually.

• mmackado
    mmackado Member ✭✭
    > @thecreator said:
    > Hi @mmackado ,
    >
    > The procedure above is the only one, that works.

Creator, thanks for the help, I followed your instructions to the letter, but now Mondo patch R2, R16.1 downloaded from that site do not work "error- -necessary files for applying the patch are missing" and the official Quicken site only displays Mondo patches for Q17.

https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windows

Should I go ahead and try the last patch R19.5 (if it works) ?
    I read in that site that patches are 'cumulative' so the last patch should contain all previous patches?...or are there any other sources for these Mondo or original quicken patches?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    @mmackado

In order to install the Quicken Mondo patch(s) you need a Windows Administrator account that doesn't have a space in the username such as Admin. Go to this page in Settings and click Add someone else to this PC.

Click I don't have this person sign-in information and then Add a user without a Microsoft account.

Enter a one word username and the password is optional. After the account is created, click on the account name and Change account type. Use the pull down arrow to change to an Administrator account and click OK.

Sign out of your current Windows account and sign-in to the new Administrator account. Make sure to move the Quicken Mondo patch file(s) to C:\Users\Public\Downloads to you can access them from the new Administrator account. Double click the patch file(s) to install them. I would think you could just install the R19.5 Mondo patch since as you stated, they are cumulative. I don't agree with thecreator's long and complicated procedure. 
  • Greg_the_Geek
    @mmackado

You might want to consider upgrading your Windows from 1809 to the latest 1903.
  • thecreator
    mmackado said:
    > @thecreator said:
    > Hi @mmackado ,
    >
    > The procedure above is the only one, that works.

Creator, thanks for the help, I followed your instructions to the letter, but now Mondo patch R2, R16.1 downloaded from that site do not work "error- -necessary files for applying the patch are missing" and the official Quicken site only displays Mondo patches for Q17.

https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windows

Should I go ahead and try the last patch R19.5 (if it works) ?
    I read in that site that patches are 'cumulative' so the last patch should contain all previous patches?...or are there any other sources for these Mondo or original quicken patches?
    Hi @mmackado ,

"install Mondo Patch R8, R12, R16.1 and finally R19.5 Mondo."

There are four Mondo Patches to install:
    R8
    R12
    R16.1
    R19.5

Once you install the Main Quicken program. Close it and do not Launch Quicken or open it.
    Now, right-click on Mondo Patch R8 and Run as administrator to install. Do not open Quicken..
    Next perform the same for Mondo Patches R12 and R16.1. Do not open Quicken.
    Finally right-click Mondo Patch R19.5 and Run as administrator to install.
    Now launch Quicken or open Quicken. Choose I'm Upgrading and Restore your last Manual Backup.

Quicken 2016 has a bug, that you can't simply just install the last Mondo Patch. If you do jump to the last, Quicken doesn't open. You must install the Mondo Patches in order.

• thecreator
    Hi @mmackado ,

About Windows 10 operating system, have you bother to keep it updated?
    Click on Settings then Update and Security and finally Check for Updates.
    You only need to have One User Account, if you are the only User of the computer. And it needs to be the Administrator of the computer.

• Greg_the_Geek
    @thecreator

I don't know where you're finding that you have to install the Quicken 2016 Mondo patches in the order you listed. As a test, I just installed Quicken 2016 R2 and upgraded it to R19.5 using only the R19.5 Mondo patch. I did have to create a Windows Administrator account with no space in the username to install the patch.
  • thecreator
    Hi @Greg_the_Geek ,

Do you bother to read the announcements? I do.

Quicken Kathryn posted an announcement on this and it is Archived now, because Quicken 2016 is no longer supported.

After you installed the Mondo Patch 19.5 were you able to open and close Quicken, repeatedly? And do work inside of Quicken?

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7571578/resolution-quicken-for-windows-2016-wont-open-after-installing-and-updating-to-the-latest-patch

Since you are a Super User, you should be able to see it.

• mmackado
    mmackado Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > @mmackado 
    >
    > You might want to consider upgrading your Windows from 1809 to the latest 1903.

Greg, my W10 home version 1809 under regular user doesn't show the "family and others" options, if I switch over to the Administrator account, the menu is slightly different, when I click on the "others" option there, and try to create a new user, I get an error that sends me to the old "Control Panel", and if I try to create a new user there, it sends me back to the new W10 menu I just described, apparently some kind of install bug, because apparently I cant create new users as I did before.

this version 1809 was only installed last week, and created issues with some old softwares here, I had to stabilize with the 'compatibility mode', I switched Quicken 14 to Win8.1 and still had issues (very slow) and then switched to win 8.0 it was better but not as before the update, so that's when I decided to install Quicken16, and here we are..

I just check the updates, some are pending but not the 1903 update, Win10 has never invited me to update to that version yet, and it doesn't show up after my manual check just now.
  • mmackado
    mmackado Member ✭✭
    Greg, My current administrator account doesn't have any 'spaces', Mondo R8 installed without issues under the users account opening with 'administrator' account mode, did the same for R12 and R16.1 but those two didn't work even after reloading the files from the site a second time, I then stopped testing the remaining patch R19.5 because I was not sure if I need to installed the patches in order as The Creator instructs in his steps

If it means anything to you, only the R8 patch download (that worked) seems to originate from Intuit, the other three are from Microsoft win32 self extractors, I will check on the posibility of forcing my upgrading to win10 1903 and see if I can create a new admin user...
  • mmackado
    mmackado Member ✭✭
    ok, I figured out why the mondo patches were not working, turns out they were created with old win32 version, had to switch the compatibility of R12,R16.1 'win32 Cabinet self extractor' to windows 7 mode to extract the installers , both R8 and R19.5 work fine without conversion.

But Patch R12 is corrupted and it doesn't work, so I can not install patches in order if I need to?... ;) , by looking at the description on last patch R19.5 both R12 and R16.1 patches are included, so my options are to install R16.1 and then R19.5 , bypassing R12, or just R19.5 and launch Quicken16 and see what happens, Any other Suggestions ;)
  • Greg_the_Geek
    @thecreator

I believe that announcement is old news. It's interesting that QPW found the problem (though only some users were affected) but makes no mention of it on his website containing the patches. The last patch mentions in the article is R12 but there were 9 Mondo patches released after that.

I was able  to open and close Quicken repeatedly as well as work on my Quicken data with no problem. I just seems to me that your whole reinstallation procedure is overly complicated and can be greatly simplified. KISS

@mmackado

I believe the difference in the Settings options is due to you using 1809 and I have 1903. You can go to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3159635/windows-10-update-assistant and download the 
    Windows 10 Update Assistant for 1903.

• thecreator
    Hi @mmackado ,

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?tduid=(4e6e5b5aaabf2cdcf40a873f29804e0d)(259740)(2542549)(UUwpUdUnU49825)(dwp)

In order to Download Tool Now, you must be signed into your Microsoft Account at the top of the Web page.

Go to: https://www.glarysoft.com/  and download Glary Utilities 5.
    Once installed via the Right-click method to Run as administrator, open Glary Utilities and click 1-Cick Maintenance. Check Disk Repair, then Scan for Issues. In order to fix File System Errors, you need to Restart the computer. Once restarted, run it again for 0 Issues. in Disk Repair.

Sometimes, you need to restart several times. The Upgrade fails if you have File System Errors.

• mmackado
    mmackado Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Ok, I was finally able to install Quicken 16 just now, only used first Mondo patch R8 and then had to skip over to patch R19.5, these two patches are the only ones that installed all the way, I was able to open the other two patches [R12 and R16] under administrator' account, but after starting to load, the installation failed with the same error report I posted above in my JPEG file.

Quicken 16 is reporting R19.5 version.

Was able to Link my Q16 data file to my new Quicken account and Quicken opened/converted by backup file and all Data seem to be working fine for now, of course I need to do some more testing.

The only issue is when I exit the program, I get a blank Quicken screen that locks up (not responding error) and can only be forced closed with Task Manager tool.

Are you guys using Q16 without any compatibility adjustments with the latest Window 10 upgrades? I see Quicken16 Deluxe was rated for windows 8.1 ?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I just installed Quicken 2016 R2 on a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Version) 1903) computer and then updated to R19.5 with no issues. I used an Administrator account that has no spaces in the path to the Home folder. I didn't Run as Administrator or use any Compatibility Mode. Quicken runs fine except I of course get the message that Online Services have expired.
  • mmackado
    mmackado Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > I just installed Quicken 2016 R2 on a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Version) 1903) computer and then updated to R19.5 with no issues. I used an Administrator account that has no spaces in the path to the Home folder. I didn't Run as Administrator or use any Compatibility Mode. Quicken runs fine except I of course get the message that Online Services have expired.

Thanks Greg the Greek, so no comparability mode needed, I think my recent 1809 update didn't installed 100% correctly, I used Glary Utilities 5 as suggested by 'Creator' and it found and fixed a couple of System errors, I'll wait a couple of weeks to try the 1903 update, since still have the old windows version files here that win10 uses in case of 'rollback', and I rather keep those for now..

I also installed Quicken16 under a regular user, since my password manager util is not available under the Administrator account, the frozen screen error I'm getting at 'exit' I discovered can be bypassed by exiting Q16 by clicking the close button instead at the top right of the screen.
    If after upgrading to Win10-1903 the error doesn't disappear I'll look into re-installing Q16 again since I know how to do it now.

Thanks for all the help guys! B) :)
This discussion has been closed.