Quicken 2019 HBR will not sync reminders to Outlook 2016

Everything is up to date but Quicken does not sync reminders to Outlook. So far it has either stopped responding, complained that no default mail client was set (but one is) OR it has simply closed the Update screen without an error message.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only the 32 bit version of Outlook is supported.

• That article refers to Quicken versions 2017 or earlier. It says later versions are not affected. I am running Q2019.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Unfortunately, I believe it applies to Quicken Subscription as well and the article is incorrect or only applies to emailing invoices.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, I believe it applies to Quicken Subscription as well and the article is incorrect or only applies to emailing invoices.
    It's the latter.
    The process of emailing invoices changed in Q 2018. Instead of sending thru Outlook or your PC's default email application, they now use a different email server at Quicken.
    However, you must be using the 32 bit version of Outlook for Sync Reminders to Outlook to work. A 32 bit Windows program cannot interface with another 64 bit program (and vice versa).
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited October 2019
    Hello Everyone,

I've been doing some research regarding this topic this morning, and I have some more information I'd like to provide.

The only Outlook program that any Quicken product has had issues with is the 64-bit program. This is not due to Quicken, but due to issues with the 64-bit program that Microsoft no longer produces. Even the latest Outlook (365 version) is a 32-bit program.

With that being said, the 2018/2019 release of Quicken is supposed to work with both Outlook programs, however, that's not to say that some things may behave improperly when using the 64-bit program, due to the issues with that particular Outlook software.

There is conflicting info provided in the Support Articles, as this article states:

"Sync to Outlook requires a 32-bit version of Microsoft Outlook 2007 or 2010. A 64-bit version of Outlook will not work."

Whereas this article states that the issue with sending invoices via email, syncing bills & address book, as well as calendar reminders, only affects the 2017 and earlier releases of Quicken. And that it does not apply to the 2018/2019 release, giving the impression that QWin19 can and will successfully sync reminders to the 64-bit Outlook program.

Therefore, I have submitted a request to have both of these Support Articles reviewed and updated to provide more clarification.

@Marketing Guru, I would suggest contacting Support for more in-depth troubleshooting. Our Support Agents have the tools and abilities to investigate this even further and also to provide an escalation of the issue, if deemed appropriate.

You may find this Microsoft Support Article helpful as well. 

I hope this helps to clarify the functionality between Quicken and Outlook. Also, I will be sure to post back with any updates that I receive regarding this.

Thanks!

-Quicken Natalie

• > @UKR said:
    > A 32 bit Windows program cannot interface with another 64 bit program (and vice versa).

This is not correct. Outlook 2016/365 (32 & 64 bit) use a common API (now called Microsoft Graph but it's been largely in place since Office 2010). I have two 32-bit programs that connect with Outlook 2016 64-bit just fine. One of them syncs Contacts and Calendar events with Google online. The other syncs Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes with Android via wifi or USB. All Quicken has to do is sync a lousy date. And if the feature isn't supported (as you suggest) then the devs should gray out the option.
  • > @Quicken_Natalie said:

> The only Outlook program that any Quicken product has had issues with is the 64-bit program. This is not due to Quicken, but due to issues with the 64-bit program that Microsoft no longer produces. Even the latest Outlook (365 version) is a 32-bit program.

This is not correct. Outlook 365 comes in both 32 and 64-bit versions. The DEFAULT install for Office 365 is the 64-bit version. Long-range plans are for Microsoft to end-of-life 32-bit versions. The default for Office 2016 is 32-bit BUT you are given a choice at install time to install 64-bit (only on 64-bit systems). Likewise the default for new Windows 10 installs is 64-bit if the user has a 64-bit system (just about 100% of new systems sold).

Read:

"https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Choose-between-the-64-bit-or-32-bit-version-of-Office-2dee7807-8f95-4d0c-b5fe-6c6f49b8d261"

> There is conflicting info provided in the Support Articles, as this article states:

> Therefore, I have submitted a request to have both of these Support Articles reviewed and updated to provide more clarification.

Good. It's clear as mud right now.

@Marketing Guru, I would suggest contacting Support for more in-depth troubleshooting. Our Support Agents have the tools and abilities to investigate this even further and also to provide an escalation of the issue, if deemed appropriate.

I sent in a support request yesterday. We'll see what happens.

Tom
This discussion has been closed.