Blank lines in Business Address field - can't get rid of them

Pressing "Delete" or "Backspace" doesn't remove the blank lines in the Forms Designer, "Edit Company Address". How do I remove them?

In an attempt to put "Make checks payable to" in my business address, I added some extra lines. I decided that was better in the "Memo" field.

Now I can't delete the blank lines, and the blank lines "Push" the address above the box and only the city and zip posts.

My customer has rejected the invoice. Help! I need to get paid. (And I'm a registered / updated user)

== John ==

Version R22.12, build 27.1.22.12, Year 2019, Quicken - Home, Business & Rental Property.

Best Answer

Answers

• jgwinner
    jgwinner Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    [removed - violation of community guidelines]
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on the same Quicken version and just experimented with my customized invoice in the Forms Designer. Trying to edit the Company Address in the two places that I know of where one can edit it, I can't even input any extra lines, except as additional lines at the bottom of the existing address.
    Can you show me image snapshots of the Forms Designer view showing the Company Address portion of the invoice plus the Edit Company Address dialog that you're working with? Redact the image to black out your actual address or temporarily change it to a fake one. I just want to see what you have done, similar to what mine looks like:
    I want to see how the address is positioned within its text block on the invoice (the dotted box above) and if the size of the text block is large enough to hold the data.
  • jgwinner
    jgwinner Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Ok, see attachment.

It turned out, to get the logo to print properly, it had some white space around it, and that covered up the first line of the address. Partly because the blank lines push the address 'up' ... so I still have the problem with the blank lines, but I found I could just resize the company address portion so large that it just overlapped the actual invoice, and moved it down some.

As the lines were blank, it didn't cover up the invoice.

The graphic displays, but it doesn't show the outline so it's hard to tell when it overlaps.

I have to say ... why in the world would a programmer override the multi-edit box? The built in edit box works fine. [removed - rant/off-topic]

I really do appreciate your help.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears to me that the Company Address is a very simple text box with 5 or 6 lines and no Edit capability to speak of.
    Are street and city, state and zip the only two lines in your Company Address field or are there more lines above it, not showing?

One way out of this situation that I can think of:
    Uncheck Print Company Address
    Create a new, wider company logo file with both logo and your address and any extra text you want to show and replace your current logo file with it.

When you select a design item in the Forms Designer, it highlights with a blue frame showing the current size and location. Click the logo and it'll show you how big the field is.
  • jgwinner
    jgwinner Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thanks!

Yea, the "no edit" is just weird, but I basically fixed it by making the whole text field the size of the invoice.

That way, the blank lines display over the invoice, but it doesn't matter.

Just seems weird you can't edit the lines. [removed - off-topic]

If I remember right, the problem I had with the logo was that wide and short didn't display properly, I had to make it taller but with white space. I didn't realize until printing the white space would cause problems with the ship to.

== John ==
  • jgwinner
    jgwinner Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    So basically Edit Address is just plain broken, right? Will Quicken ever fix it?

[removed - off-topic]
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    please have patience. I'm talking to someone at Quicken to look into this issue in more detail. I'll let you know when I hear something.
  • jgwinner
    jgwinner Member ✭✭
    Oh, thank you!
  • jgwinner
    jgwinner Member ✭✭
    Ok, I'll try that.

I do disagree with this: >>The text editor function with this field is primitive, but it appears to work as it should.<<

Primitive is different than broken :) Having the delete key not work, and have it spontaneously jump to the "Ok" button and exiting suddenly is clearly a bug.

However, at least I have a workaround. Thank you!

== John ==
This discussion has been closed.