Can't restore file, UI comes up blank after following restore wizard.

I took a backup via the UI from my main computer before putting it into storage, saved the backup in google drive (ensured it was synced), installed quicken on my laptop and attempted a restore following the wizard after it loads (copy to new file method), the UI has no data, no accounts. Please advise, I really shouldn't have to get my computer out of storage to get my budget...

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's unclear from your description as there is no "copy to new file" in the restore process. The correct method for restore is File>Backup and Restore>Restore from Backup File.
  • angusy
    angusy Member
    That is the method I followed as this is a fresh install.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version of Quicken are you using? Is the version installed on the laptop fully updated?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • angusy
    angusy Member
    It's the latest subscription version, fully updated.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, I suggest you copy the data file backup from Google Drive into an ordinary folder on an internal drive (not a Google Drive folder) and attempt the restore again.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or just change the backup file extension from .QDF-backup to .QDF and open the file.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Or just change the backup file extension from .QDF-backup to .QDF and open the file.
    Just do not allow Quicken to open the data file in the Google Drive folder.
  • angusy
    angusy Member
    File was loaded off the local FS and not from google drive or one drive or either of their local directories. I also tried the rename and same effect.

I uninstalled and reinstalled and same effect as well, it looks like it imports the file and when quicken finishes loading all the tabs are default with no data.

Screen shot of where I start the import from, file location a copy of the file renamed with "-backup" off the desktop.

The forced sync of the data to the cloud is also nerve wracking, can't say I'm really impressed with the new version of Quicken, and this is coming from a software engineer...
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    angusy said:
    File was loaded off the local FS and not from google drive or one drive or either of their local directories. I also tried the rename and same effect.

I uninstalled and reinstalled and same effect as well, it looks like it imports the file and when quicken finishes loading all the tabs are default with no data.

Screen shot of where I start the import from, file location a copy of the file renamed with "-backup" off the desktop.

The forced sync of the data to the cloud is also nerve wracking, can't say I'm really impressed with the new version of Quicken, and this is coming from a software engineer...
    We're not forced to sync data to the cloud.

Please provide the edition you're using and the version and edition used to produce the backup. 
  • angusy
    angusy Member
    The message after the stage shown in the picture I attached says that data will be synced and any data in the cloud will be overwritten by the file I'm attempting to restore.

That said, both the version this backup is from and the one I'm trying to restore into the are the latest download version.

I created the backup two days ago, so unless there was a major update between then and now they should be identical
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If we have choose to sync data from the data file to the cloud, when we restore a data file, Quicken will update the data in the Cloud using the restored data file.

There actually is a major update being staged, so providing the version and edition details may be pertinent.

Were you prompted to provide the password for the Quicken ID associated with the data file?
  • angusy
    angusy Member
    Yes I was prompted, I tried to do this offline and it Quicken wouldn't even start.

Screen shot for version info, you can also see from the screen shot that Quicken looks like it's only been started with a new file, not a restored backup.

That said, I'm going to get my computer out of storage and set it up at my office.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where exactly is your restored Quicken data file located?
    The recommended location is C:\Users\_your_username_\Documents\Quicken.
    Is it possible that your restored file name has a blank space at the end of the name portion, e.g., QDATA_.QDF instead of QDATA.QDF (the _underscore represents the blank space)? Quicken can't handle that and won't find the file when you start Quicken.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    angusy said:
    Yes I was prompted, I tried to do this offline and it Quicken wouldn't even start.

Screen shot for version info, you can also see from the screen shot that Quicken looks like it's only been started with a new file, not a restored backup.

That said, I'm going to get my computer out of storage and set it up at my office.
    O Canada

It does appear like the backup you're restoring is a new data file.
This discussion has been closed.