Setting up Categories

New to Quicken. Using pgm for Non Profit, not for personal finances. Trying to set up my categories, but each one I set up is placed under Personal, even though I highlighted Business, and I can't find how to change it. For my purposes, I have hidden all personal categories.
Tagged:

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know if Quicken will work for that or you might need a real accounting program like QuickBooks.  But To be included in business reports (and I don't know where else) you have to assign the category to a schedule C tax line item number.  To check the tax line assignment open the Category list by either clicking on the Category Icon or go to Tools-Category List or Ctrl+Shift+C.  Then select the category and right click on it to Edit it.  Click on the Tax Reporting Tab and check the box for Tax related and pick a Schedule C: tax line item.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Thank you. I will give that a try. I have been using Excel for the accounting for this non-profit, but find I need something more, but not as much as something like QuickBooks. So I will try to make it work within Quicken for now at least.
  • chitownhockey
    chitownhockey Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you want a category to show up as a business category, you will have to check the category as taxable PLUS assign it a tax line item that is a Schedule C item from the list.

That is the only way to get categories to be classified as business categories.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Q can't handle the business functions that you'll need.  Go with Quickbooks.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.