Random rent payments don't appear in the Rental Properties tab

I have been a quicken user for about 20 years but in the last year have been trying to fully implement the rental property features. My resolution this year was to finally make use of it. I have 20 tenants who all pay around the 10th of the month.

I have set up a general category of "rent Income" for all deposits, and have created individual tags for each tenant. Generally the deposits are made inside "splits". Most of the time these entries come across to the Rental Properties tab, but occasionally a deposit (and all of the split entries) do not appear.

I can run a tenant report and the data (tenant name, tag, memo) are all there, and I have checked to make sure that the posted date is correct as well, but I can find no difference between the entries that work and the ones that do not. I have tried copying and pasting the missing transactions in, and the copied transactions do not appear in the RP tab.

Generally, the deposits are populated via a bank download and then itemized, although occasionally they are manually entered and then sync with the bank download once they clear. I do not have any way to see whether the missing entries are associated with one type of transaction entry or another.

I did see one discussion where the use of splits was described as not working at all - but this is not my experience. I would guess that 80% of the split entries appear in the RP tab. Now I just need to get the last 20%!

Any help or report of similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Tagged:

Answers

• Hello Jon,

Thank you for providing the details of this issue to the Community, although I apologize you have not yet received a response.

What version/release of Quicken are you using? You can find that under Help>About Quicken

To get a better idea of what's occurring, are the split transactions located in a non-property account, and do they contain non-property related categories/tags in addition to the "Rent Income" category and individual tenant tags you've created?

You may consider providing screenshots of what you're experiencing so that other Members have a better idea of how to help: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-10-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots.

If you have not already done so, I suggest reviewing this FAQ, as it provides additional links and resources that thoroughly outline the Rental Property features, functions and capabilities. You may find it helpful with what you're experiencing. 

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• Jon2
    Jon2 Member ✭✭
    Quicken Natalie,

Thanks for following up on my question. Some information:

(1) Quicken Home, Business, & Rental Property 2019 R22.17 Build 27.1.22.17

(2) The account where the rent is managed is set up with Account Intent of "Spending" and "Business". I do now see that I could have set up the account as "Rental Property" instead of "Business", but I guess I didn't understand then (or even now) what the differences were or are.

(3) Yes, at least some of the split entries that are missing have lines that contain non-property related categories/tags. For example, a tenant may have reimbursed me for a repair or utility. I did previously experiment by substituting the non-property tags with property tags (but did not also substitute the non-property category) and that did not solve the problem.

(4) I had some screenshots available when I did my original post but I was (and still am) unclear on how to attach them. The community portal I am on does not seem to have an attach or image icon (just preview, save draft, and post comment.)

Will there be any unforeseen issues that arise if I change the account type from Business to Rental Property?

Sounds like maybe there is an improved query that could be used by the application in generating these reports..?

Jon
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Jon

Thank you for that additional information, although I apologize that you have not yet received a follow-up response.

May I ask, how are the rental property transactions entered?  Do you select the Add Transactions > Enter Rent button in the Rental Property tab of Quicken?

Or, are the transactions being entered directly in the register of the deposit account?

The account type does have an impact on which cash flow features/reports the account and transactions will appear in.  

There should be no negative impact to changing the account intent from Business to Rental Property, however, I recommend creating a backup of the data file beforehand, just in case.

I hope this information is helpful and please let us know how it goes.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Jon2
    Jon2 Member ✭✭
    Hi Sarah,

Thanks for jumping in on this issue. The rental entries are all being entered directly in the register of the deposit account. I have never used the enter rent button.

I changed the account type to Rental Property and see no differences in the reports or results.

There is an image attachment option now so I have provided a couple of snips that show two tenants for both the RP tab and the corresponding Itemized Categories report.

Thanks,

Jon
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Jon

Thank you for the screenshots of the rental property tab and itemized categories report.

May I ask, when entering the rental transactions what data is being entered in the Payee and Category fields?

Based on the screenshots, it looks like you have a tenant set up under each property named "Rent Income" - is that correct?

Were any of these transactions entered as a split transaction?

Thanks again,

Sarah
  • Jon2
    Jon2 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Sarah,

Right now, virtually ALL of the rent entries are being made under SPLIT entries. In the case of the two tenant examples that I have provided screen shots, all were within split deposits.

So in the case of these deposits, the line entry (for the bank account register) is "Rent Income" (snip 1.) In the category window, each line has a tenant is listed (snip 2). Snip 2 is an example of WCCC-PD not coming across... you can see that there is an Apr rent payment made but it does not appear (Quicken RP tab.jpg.)

What I do see is that if one entry on the split is missing, then all of the entries in the split are missing. But as I mentioned, 90% or more of the entries are made in splits, so most of the split entries do work. Just occasionally some do not.

I did see from another post that it was suggested to make a dummy ledger for all of these entries and then use transfers when deposits are made. That would be possible but would add extra work on my end and would not be something that would sync with the bank downloads. So I would really rather that the split entries work as expected!

Jon
This discussion has been closed.