Only stock's name changed, how do I keep original cost basis, etc.?

RCinNJ
RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
I have a stock that changed its symbol today from HCP to PEAK. No change in shares or price. QM2019 picks it up as a "Remove Shares" and an "Add Shares". However, the new shares have a 11/5/19 purchase date and $0 Cost Basis. What is the best way to handle this so I keep the original purchase date and cost basis?

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks John_in_NC! The separate "Dated added" (using the purchase date) and "Date acquired" (using the date of the name change) did the trick. Although, in this case there was only one purchase. What if there had been separate lots that I wanted to keep? 
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    That is a problem when dealing with multiple lots, and I don't know of a good answer.

Many brokerage places will simply give you a Remove Shares transaction for multiple lots. It is up to you to figure out the various lots and create Add Shares transactions for each. I have done it, and it requires some legwork. Not fun. In your case, it wouldn't be as bad as it is a 1:1 conversion. But mutual fund conversions aren't as nice.

QWin has a MF conversion tool, but that is met with limited success. 

Perhaps others have a better suggestion.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of accepting the downloaded Remove Shares / Add Shares transactions, wouldn't it have been easier to just change the security's Ticker Symbol?
    Or record a manual transaction, a 1:1 stock merger?
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    Instead of accepting the downloaded Remove Shares / Add Shares transactions, wouldn't it have been easier to just change the security's Ticker Symbol?
    Or record a manual transaction, a 1:1 stock merger?
    UKR, thanks for posting. Changing the symbol would have worked, but I believe it would have changed the name and symbol on all the earlier transactions for this stock. I may be wrong (or just obstinate), but I didn't want to lose this investment "trail".

As for recording a 1:1 stock merger, I think this may be available in QW but I'm not aware of its being available in QM. 
This discussion has been closed.