Can anyone convert a Quicken for Mac (2004 or 2005) data file to the 2007 format?

I'm trying to access some old financial records and all I have is the data file. I no longer have the Mac or the software. If I can get the file converted to 2007 it can then be converted to Quicken for WIndows, which I now have. Does anybody know of someone who may be able to do this for me? I'd be happy to email the data file to them.

Thank you!

Best Answer

• AlanBob
    AlanBob Member
    Answer ✓
    Hi Pbarman,

Thank you, that's good to know. I'm pursuing an option right now that may be handled completely online, but if that doesn't work out I will get back to you. Thanks again for responding!

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Due to the sensitive nature of data files, I don't suspect fellow users would be willing to do this.

Even if you get into 2007 format, you would still need some prep work and a conversion to QIF so you can get it to Windows. (And even then, QIF doesn't make for the most reliable conversion format.) Adding to the complexity would be how this old data file has been stored-if it has been moved around on Windows formatted disks, there is a good chance it has been rendered useless.
  • AlanBob
    AlanBob Member
    Hi John,

Thanks for your response. I think the files will be OK; both sets were saved from the original iMac G5, one to Dropbox and the other burned to CD-ROM. No Windows pollution experienced.

I'm not terribly worried about the security of the data. Most of the accounts have long been closed. Certainly nothing there that should worry anyone but me. I just want to retrieve about 35-45 transactions (payee, date, amount). If I open the file in a text editor I can see the payee name for each transaction but the rest is gibberish. If I could see the numbers that'd be all I need.

I should add that I would be more than happy to purchase a usable copy of QM2004/2005 and/or a suitable iMac, if anyone has old stuff they'd like to sell. There's enough (tax) money at stake that, within reason, cost is no object.
  • Pbarman
    Pbarman Member
    edited November 2019
    Hi AlanBob,
    I have the CD/ROM, Quicken for Mac 2004 and CD/ROM, Quicken for Mac 2005. But I don't have a machine that I can ru[n] them on.
  • AlanBob
    AlanBob Member
    Answer ✓
    Hi Pbarman,

Thank you, that's good to know. I'm pursuing an option right now that may be handled completely online, but if that doesn't work out I will get back to you. Thanks again for responding!
This discussion has been closed.