Quicken 2005 claims my QDF file is not valid,

Been using this very old version, through 3 or 4 PC migrations for simple checkbook maintenance. Suddenly this week, it claims my existing QDF file, containing the account, is not valid and won't load it. Interestingly, it will "validate" (file->file operations->validate) the file, but still won't load it. It also refuses to load regular backup files, even though it will "validate" them. I've been able to load a very old (11 months old) manual backup from a thumbdrive.

I'm sure someone will recommend upgrading to current version, but how can I be sure the QDF will be read?

Best Answer

Answers

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You you are correct that no one can predict what will happen.  Check out the link below as you may be able to use download of 2013 to test it out.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Thanks. I had found that document since posting my question. Any idea why the file would be found to be invalid just now after being good for all these years?
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but I would find the most recent one that works and then download 2013

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

And FYI - If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.

The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Thanks to all for their suggestions. The upgrade-to-Quicken-2013 method has recovered my file.
  • I guess I should also ask: Is this downloaded version of Quicken 2013 time-limited or otherwise restricted? And, am I required to further upgrade it, or will it continue to work?
  • chitownhockey
    chitownhockey Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    The only restriction is how long it will work with current Windows operating systems.

Right now Quicken 2013 works with Windows 10.  But if they upgrade Windows 10 sometime in the future, who knows if Quicken 2013 would be compatible?

Other than that, there are no restrictions to use Quicken 2013.  It's free for anyone who wants it, with unlimited manual entry usage.  
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    We believe it is the full 2013 program without time limit.  You can use it as long as your computer will run it.  I'm still on 2013 on Win 8.1.  It also runs on Win 10.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.