how do i combine two securities into one?

mlwaranch
mlwaranch Member
edited November 2019 in Investing (Windows)
how do i combine two securities into one?

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please tell us a little more about the situation that you're in.
    Which two securities are you talking about?
    And what makes it necessary to combine the two?
  • I have the same question. I have 2 securities in the same investment account. One was recently created when I downloaded transactions from the brokerage, and the second was existing. Both have the same symbol, but the Security Name differs slightly. I want to merge the downloaded transactions to to the existing security, and delete the new security.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which Q product are you running?  Because some have the ability to do a Corporate Acquisition in which you'd have one security "buy" the other.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rprior04938:  I'm going to assume this was a recent event that took place.  A recent download from the brokerage led to the second security.  If so, I would be inclined to edit the security name in each transaction to the older (more often used) security name.  You might sort the transaction list first by security name if there are several transactions scattered in the list. 

After that is done, you should be able to delete the now new but unused security from the security list (Ctrl-Y).

After that is deleted, I would go to the Online Center (Tools, Online Center), that financial institution, that account, holding tab, and Compare to Portfolio.  That should prompt you to match the security as identified by the brokerage to the proper Quicken-file security.  (If you skip this step at this time, the same matching opportunity should come up next time you download from the brokerage for that account.)

HTH
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I have the same question. I have 2 securities in the same investment account. One was recently created when I downloaded transactions from the brokerage, and the second was existing.
    I've never seen this happen.... sure, I can have the same stock in multiple accounts, but I've never encountered the same stock existing as TWO different entries - with the SAME stock symbol.... and I rename the stock names, so that can't make a difference.
    Are you sure it is not two different Classes - but then, they have different symbols.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take a look at the .... Tools --> Security List -
    and compare the two entries for these securities....
    compare the Symbol and the CUSIP - which together, define a unique security.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.