Securities change when updating or after a backup

Valderi
Valderi Member ✭✭✭✭
I want to report what it seems to be a bug in Q. since  a month: 
I noticed that after making a backup or an update, all of my securities change for old ones that I don't own anymore. If I make an "update quotes only", everything is reversed to the good securities. I tried to erase all of my old securities but it doesn't help.

Quicken H & B canadian version Windows
Thanks for helping.

Best Answer

• Valderi
    Valderi Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Just to informe that my problem is solved. It was due to my US$ making free games in my CN$ accounts. I've deselect it and everything is now perfect. In January first, I will make a year-end-copy and start a new year with a completely new file updated.

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect an issue of limited data corruption.  I suggest going to the Validate and Repair option including the rebuilding investment lots.  Conventional wisdom says to make a copy of your file and validate that copy.  
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valderi said:
    I want to report what it seems to be a bug in Q. since  a month: 
    I noticed that after making a backup or an update, all of my securities change for old ones that I don't own anymore. If I make an "update quotes only", everything is reversed to the good securities. I tried to erase all of my old securities but it doesn't help.

Quicken H & B canadian version Windows
    Thanks for helping.

Can you show us what's happening?
    Which register or portfolio view are you looking at? What does it look like, before and after?
    How do you initiate the backup or update process? Describe the keystrokes you take.

How to attach image snapshots to Community posts (Windows or Mac)

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the image.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots
    To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361
    Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.
    To attach the image here, start composing your reply in the "Type your comment" box at the bottom of this webpage. Drag and drop the image or, at the top of the text entry window you'll see a row of icons possibly beginning with B I S
    Click the "Attach image" icon (the one that looks like a tiny landscape with mountain and sun). It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file(s) from your computer. The captured image(s) will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

• Valderi
    Valderi Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for your help.
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭: I've tried to repair and validate as you suggest; there is no error and it change nothing to my problem.

UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭: I show you my problem.
    First, here is a snap of the right securities: FID269 & FID2204

Then, if I click on Backup icone on the Tool bar, Here's a snap of my securities after:

FID253 (instead of FID2204) & "Marquis Balance Portfolio…" (instead of FID269)
    All the numbers (shares, prices…) don't change.

You see ? Every security is changed with another old security that I used to have many years ago. I've tried to delete them in my security list, but without any good result.

If I backup again, it will stay with those bad securities.

If I want to "repair", the only simple way is to ask for an "update of quotes", (by clicking on "Investing + Download activities + Quotes" than, I will see my good securities. I will have the same result by clicking "CTRL+SHIFT+N" than "update of quotes". Kind of weird!

Thank you for your help

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to me like something is corrupting pointers to the security name in your data file. After restoring your data file from a backup known to contain good data please do the following:

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

And if all of that doesn't resolve the problem, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

• To contact Quicken Support, please use this link only:
      https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support  and select Chat or Phone support.
      Phone support is only available during posted business hours. The phone number can found at this website.
    • If you are eligible for Premium Support (purchased separately or included as part of your subscription to Quicken 2018+ Premier or HB&R) call the number that can be found at the top of your My Account page at https://www.quicken.com/my-account  (US) or https://www.quicken.com/canada/my-account (Canada) next to "Quicken Premium Support"  when you log in with your Quicken ID.
    • Other links or phone numbers found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts or emails received from other Community members, may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at your own risk.
    • Unlike other so-called "Quicken support providers", the real Quicken Support is free for all currently supported versions.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You tried to delete them from your security list --- Not usually a good idea.  To delete them, you would need to delete all transactions involving those securities which would usually throw off your balances and cash status throughout.

I don't know about the 'matching' process used in the Canadian version for matching a security in your Quicken file to a security your financial institution reports.  In the US version, there is a check box on the security details indicating the security is matched to an online security.  If the Canadian version has that same feature and the box is checked for the older securities, I would uncheck the box.  Perhaps that is a current mis-connection.  (In the US version, that mis-connection would not lead to the symptoms you are describing -- old transactions changed.  So consider that suggestion simply a Wild-a__ guess. 

You might also restore (without wiping out your current file) a file from several months or a year ago to see if it exhibits the same issue.  You might be able to narrow down when this issue first developed.    
  • Valderi
    Valderi Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I've done everything you suggested but nothing works. I look at my security list and I check "Show Hidden securities" and I found a list of old securities I owned many years ago… Since I don't have any transaction anymore, I simply deleted all those securities, keeping only those I own today.

Well, now after I make a backup, Quicken start to mix my securities with those of my spouse… If I ask to "update quotes", all the securities are corrected perfectly...

At least, I can resolve my problem by updating the quotes. 

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valderi said:
    ... Since I don't have any transaction anymore, I simply deleted all those securities, keeping only those I own today.

Why do you not have any (of those) transactions anymore?  (Asked by someone who has close to 30 years of investment transactions in one file.) 

I suspect something you have done at some point in time has seriously damaged some internals of the database.  I would be very nervous about carrying forward with that type of problem resolution.
  • Valderi
    Valderi Member ✭✭✭✭
     For my old securities, I've transfer them for others securities.

I think you're right. I will wait 2020 jan first to erase all securities and start all over again. What do you think?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Valderi

Transfer them for other securities?

Erase all securities and start over??

How are you planning to do that? Quicken will not let you delete any securities that have transactions associated with them. Deleting old transactions will mess up the cash balances in your accouints.

Are you planning to start over with a new Quicken data file? If that is the case you will have to go back to the old file to see any historic transactions.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Valderi
    Valderi Member ✭✭✭✭
    "Are you planning to start over with a new Quicken data file? If that is the case you will have to go back to the old file to see any historic transactions."
    That's exacly what I want to do. I don't need to refer to historic transactions.
    But before, I have to figure the cash balances of my accounts... Your wright...

I think the simpliest way would be to keep everything and ask for quotes update to fix temporaly my problem.
  • Valderi
    Valderi Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    After 3 days and 2 nights, I've created a completely new file and rewrote everything.
    Now, it works very well.

I'm having a problem with the synchronisation of my accounts and mobile Quicken: all of my bank account sync as they should do but I'm not able to sync my cash account and all of my accounts that do not synchronise with my bank. 
    Bank: RBC Royal Bank
    The error code: CC-892.

Quicken want to look at the bank but the password doe'nt make it. It is curious that Quicken try to sync my cash account with my bank...
    Can you help?
  • Valderi
    Valderi Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Just to informe that my problem is solved. It was due to my US$ making free games in my CN$ accounts. I've deselect it and everything is now perfect. In January first, I will make a year-end-copy and start a new year with a completely new file updated.
This discussion has been closed.