register cash amount differs from cash amount from investing window

Options
for my ira account, the cash amount from the register screen differs from the cash amount seen on the investing window. the register cash amount is correct, all the transactions are correct. any ideas how to fix?

Best Answer

• mtaylo9
    mtaylo9 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    everything was correct entry wise, no date issues... account balance had been wrong for a long time... contacted Quicken support over the weekend, shared screens, they couldn't figure it out either.... didn't want to wait, the account was a $0 previously, so I closed that account and just created a new one. Thanks to both of you who responded.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    By "investing window" do you mean an Investing > Portfolio view, the Account Overview that is displayed when you click on the Holdings button, or something else?

What version of Quicken are you running?

The first thing I would check is the dates in the various views. The cash balance in the transaction list (register) is as of the last transaction, which might be in the future. The Portfolio views and the Account Overview default to today but you can change that by changing the "As of" date.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also, is this a recent change or has the cash balance always been wrong?
  • mtaylo9
    mtaylo9 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    everything was correct entry wise, no date issues... account balance had been wrong for a long time... contacted Quicken support over the weekend, shared screens, they couldn't figure it out either.... didn't want to wait, the account was a $0 previously, so I closed that account and just created a new one. Thanks to both of you who responded.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just be aware that while Quicken can seem like a black box with many secrets, it's fairly logical and straightforward (maybe a stretch). You can certainly create a new account and move on, but I want to stress, that if you do not determine the underlying cause of your original issue, it may reappear as a result of something you are doing that is not what Quicken is expecting. Troubleshooting can be a real pain, but the knowledge gain can prevent future issues.
This discussion has been closed.