Bank Charge without ever signing up for Bill Pay

Chase charged me $9.95 for "Financial Management Software" on December 23 that they said was for Quicken even though I have never signed up for Bill Pay on any account. The account was a business checking account. Was there some software change that suddenly produced an automatic fee for using Quicken for Mac, or that made it look like my account was using Bill Pay even though I have no intention of using Bill Pay. I double checked my account setting in Quicken Mac and it still shows nothing for Bill Pay

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I would contact Chase first. You have to find out if this charge is even for BillPay, or simply to use Direct Connect with your business account. (Some banks charge for Direct Connect connectivity, give it free for consumers but charge business customers, etc.) 
  • TP15
    TP15 Member ✭✭
    I hear you, John, and while I did contact Chase and their back office was not aware of any fee from them, it is possible this is something new that has not been documented internally. I have had this account for years and never received this charge before and the amount is suspiciously equal to the fee that Bill Pay imposes.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    As a fellow user, there isn't much more I can suggest.

I certainly would find out if that charge is coming from Chase or from a third party. Whoever is charging you should be able to explain as to why.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    as mentioned above - it might be a fee for biz customers to use any financial software - not for bill paying, but just to connect to Chase and download transactions.
    BTW - you can use Chase directly for bill payments without using the Quicken Bill Payment proxy and 3rd party...   You still do everything within Quicken, just pointing at a different Bill Payment bank ---> Chase -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• TP15
    TP15 Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the tip about payment options. For the moment Chase has responded that it is not theirs and said it was Quicken or Quickbooks (which I don't use). I was hoping that by posting I would find out if anyone else has run into this issue.
This discussion has been closed.