Fix problem with window for entering investment transactions?

When entering an investment transaction, the upper left portion of the screen blanks out after selecting the security name. How do I fix?

Best Answer

• mvwabc
    mvwabc Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I just received an update for Quicken that said it was fixing lots of bugs. After installing the update, I cannot reproduce the error I was experiencing. My version of Quicken is now:

Quicken – Deluxe, Year: 2020, Version: R24.11, Build: 27.1.24.11

I did not contact Quicken Support, but looks like they either already knew about problem or it got fixed when they fixed another bug.

Answers

• mvwabc
    mvwabc Member ✭✭✭
    Attached is a picture of the window showing problem.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a new one. Tell us your Quicken version & year, operating system version, and all that basic info.
    What happens if you open Help by clicking the ? at the bottom left corner of the dialog and then close the help? The Help window by default should obscure the investment dialog. Does closing the Help window cause the dialog to repaint properly?
    What happens if you drag the Buy transaction dialog around the screen? Does the whiteness move along with the dialog or stay where it is on screen, allowing the dialog to "move out from under" the whiteness?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• mvwabc
    mvwabc Member ✭✭✭
    Quicken – Deluxe, Year: 2020, Version: R23.21, Build: 27.1.23.21

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, Version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363

System Manufacturer: HP, System Model: HP Laptop 14-dq1xxx, System Type: x64-based PC

Opening and closing help does nothing to the window. Blank space stays same.

When moving the window around, the blank space follows the window in same spot.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for running those tests. I have seen randomly appearing white areas on my own machine, but the whiteness did not follow any programs around the screen, indicating it wasn't the program's fault. So in this case we can probably surmise that this is a Quicken issue.
    Never having seen this exact issue before, all I can suggest is to follow the usual troubleshooting steps.
    Uninstall Quicken.
    Reboot windows.
    Reinstall Quicken, allowing it to update to current release.
    Still not working? Try running the Mondo patch.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• mvwabc
    mvwabc Member ✭✭✭
    Some information that I did not previously share is that the problem does not always occur when selecting a security. So, I went back and tested various securities. At first I thought it might be the length of the security entry, but this did not prove out. My best guess is that it has to do with the way the security is entered into the box. If I type in part of the name and select the entry from list, then the problem occurs, but not for every security.

I am using subscription Quicken, so everything should be current. I understand your suggestion about reloading, but don’t think that is the answer. I believe this is a program bug. Hopefully, someone from Quicken is monitoring the community and will look in to this problem.

I did find a kind of squirrelly (pardon the pun) work around for the problem. If you select the clear button, it will show the entry fields only behind the blanked out area. See attached.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    If this were a program bug ... why are other's not experiencing it?  Why did @Rocket J Squirrel comment "That's a new one"?
    We've never seen this before ... and no one can reproduce EXACTLY what you're showing.
    That leads to the strong suspicion that it's something specific to your Q data file or your PC.
    You might have NOT a bug ... but rather a corrupted program installation, which the Subscription updates can't fix.
    Reinstall!

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• mvwabc
    mvwabc Member ✭✭✭
    I uninstalled Quicken, rebooted and reinstalled Quicken. The problem was NOT fixed.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Contact Q Support.  Your options are at the bottom of this webpage: https://www.quicken.com/support#windows

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• mvwabc
    mvwabc Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I just received an update for Quicken that said it was fixing lots of bugs. After installing the update, I cannot reproduce the error I was experiencing. My version of Quicken is now:

Quicken – Deluxe, Year: 2020, Version: R24.11, Build: 27.1.24.11

I did not contact Quicken Support, but looks like they either already knew about problem or it got fixed when they fixed another bug.
This discussion has been closed.