How can I get a Bought transaction to reflect that the cost should come out of cash balance?

texcarey
texcarey Member ✭✭
I have tried editing, deleting and re-entering the transaction, but it still reflects "N/A" in the Cash Amt column and I can't override it.

Best Answers

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple questions:

1) What type of account are you using for this transaction (open the account > click on the gear at the top right of the screen > On the "General Tab" left-hand side > "Account type: " )?

2) In the transaction (highlight the transaction in the ledger and select "Edit") - What is in the box at the top of the transaction screen? e.g. is it "Buy - Shares Bought" or "Add - Shares Added" or something else?

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• texcarey
    texcarey Member ✭✭
    1) I did not get a "General Tab" when clicking on the gear icon (got a list of actions such as Reconcile) but this is an Investment account. Specifically, a Fidelity account. Transaction is a reinvestment of dividends in a mutual fund.

2) The transaction is currently a Reinvest - Income Reinvested.

This is a 2017 transaction. I had the same problem with a 2015 transaction, and I was able to switch it to a Buy - Shares Bought transaction, which then took the amount out of the cash balance. But I have not been able to edit this one the same way with the same result. Instead, I get this blue N/A link in the Cash Amount column which takes me to a Help topic and says that this transaction can't come out of the cash balance.

These are identical transactions, except for the date and amount, so I can't figure out why one debits the cash balance, and one doesn't.

Thanks.
  • texcarey
    texcarey Member ✭✭
    When I try to edit the transaction to make it a Buy - Shares Bought transaction, I do not get the box with the radio buttons to select if I want to use the cash balance or some other fund source. This box is available on other Bought transactions in this same account.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok @texcarey - Let's try this - go back to the gear where you  "(got a list of actions such as Reconcile)" and click on "Edit account details" then on the next screen look for "Account type:" - what is that showing?

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect there are placeholder transactions in the account.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7267839/quicken-faq-managing-placeholder-entries-in-quicken-for-windows
  • texcarey
    texcarey Member ✭✭
    Frankx: Account type is Traditional IRA
  • texcarey
    texcarey Member ✭✭
    Sherlock: Thanks for the article link. I have run into issues with placeholders before, but I don't think any are showing as transactions in this account. I will doublecheck. My share balances in all of the funds match with the latest statement from the institution so all is well there. I noticed today that the account is showing a cash balance when there is none (had not been paying attention to that column as I just use the one step update to link with institutions and download transactions), and it was because of two reinvestments of income, one in 2015 and one in 2017, in one particular fund. I fixed the 2015 one by recategorizing it to a Buy -Shares Bought transaction, but the 2017 one refuses to be fixed in that manner. My guess is a software transition issue when Quicken went to subscription around that time, but that is just a guess. There is no option (radio button) to use cash balance for the funds for the 2017 transaction, even though the Buy-Shares Bought header clearly says that is what is supposed to happen.
  • texcarey
    texcarey Member ✭✭
    Frank. Thanks for the options. I agree it is odd. I have tried the first option to no avail, but I may try it again in a different order, i.e. add the Bought transaction and then delete the original. I was just trying to edit the original or deleting the original and then adding the Bought. Who know. And in the meantime, I did do the miscellaneous transaction to bring the cash balance down to zero. Since I am still a person who balances their checkbook (my son says, what's a checkbook?), I was just trying to make everything perfect! Thanks for thinking about this.
  • texcarey
    texcarey Member ✭✭
    Bob. Yes, the matching transactions are dividend income and capital gains at year-end that add to the cash balance and are supposed to be reinvested to reduce the cash balance in the commensurate amount. For some reason, the transaction is not doing that, whether it is a reinvestment or a Bought. Have tried editing it several times. There are plenty of other transactions that accomplish the correct thing in this account in the other funds, but these two instances were glitched, and I can only get one of them to correctly use the cash balance by switching it to a Buy transaction. If the other one remains pesky, I will just use a workaround to reduce the cash balance to zero. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.