QMac (5.14.2) - non bill pay transaction in account enabled for bill pay

Options
For Transactions that have been paid (by my bank via direct connect I think).

My Checking account has a little blue pen next to the already cleared transactions and when float over it reads "This is a non bill pay transaction in account enabled for bill pay" .

The connection type for this account is Direct Connect and Bill Pay is On (ie green lights on the settings page).

If I show details in "edit all instances" I have "Bill Pay via Quicken" selected for payment method.

I want to use direct connect and have my bank pay it (which is what has been happening I think).

Should I have "I pay the biller directly (typical)" selected instead of Bill Pay via Quicken? I don't care about the blue pen indicator but if I'm doing something wrong I want to fix it. Please advise.
Tagged:

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Orange pencils=Manually entered transactions. When it turns blue, that means it has been matched to a downloaded transaction. 

If you use Bill Pay, then yes, you will want to keep the "Bill Pay via Quicken" option selected. The "I pay the biller directly" option is if you manually pay the transaction (in person, check, EFT, etc.) Don't change it to that.

Since the transaction pencil turned blue, it sounds like the transaction went through. I would double check at the biller to confirm. (But, I have OCD about those sorts of things.) 

• djbenedetti
    djbenedetti Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @John_in_NC said:
    > Orange pencils=Manually entered transactions. When it turns blue, that means it has been matched to a downloaded transaction. 
    >
    > If you use Bill Pay, then yes, you will want to keep the "Bill Pay via Quicken" option selected. The "I pay the biller directly" option is if you manually pay the transaction (in person, check, EFT, etc.) Don't change it to that.
    >
    > Since the transaction pencil turned blue, it sounds like the transaction went through. I would double check at the biller to confirm. (But, I have OCD about those sorts of things.) 

yes confirmed at biller. So even though I don't use Quicken Bill Pay (because I use Direct connect with my bank) I still keep the"Bill Pay via Quicken" selected for payment method?

Or does your statement of "in person, check, EFT, etc." include direct connect?

I wouldn't include direct connect as an EFT but you may have meant it as part of etc.?

Sorry having so many questions.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2020
    Options
    If we had a problem with questions, we wouldn't be here voluntarily answering them  :)

Yes, keep the Quicken Bill Pay option. That applies to both Direct Connect and through Quicken's service.

The "Pay Biller Directly" option simply means Quicken will take no action other than recording it in your register. You pay the bill however you choose to do so outside of Quicken.

(I did mean EFT as in auto drafted from your account-i.e., my electric bill gets automatically withdrawn from my checking account each month.)

Feel free to ask more questions! 
This discussion has been closed.