Quicken crashes on export report to Excel

I have an itemized category report with two years of data. When I try to export the report to Excel, Quicken crashes.

I've tried using custom dates to shorten the period that the report covers. The cutoff seems to be between 6 and 7 months: when I run the report for a 6 month period, the export runs OK, but when I run it for 7 months Quicken crashes.

I'm running Quicken Premier 2020 R23.18 on a Mac, using Parallels.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Comments

• omc
    omc Member ✭✭
    P.S. I've tried it with other reports and have similar problems. I'm able to export to Excel for short periods, but not long periods.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @omc

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

May I ask, when the "crash" occurs - do you receive a dialogue window with an option to submit the crash report to Quicken?

Or does Quicken disappear with no error message or dialogue windows?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • omc
    omc Member ✭✭
    Hi Sarah.

On these occasions when Quicken crashes, I do receive a dialogue window with an option to submit the crash report to Quicken. I've done that on one occasion, along with my email address.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @omc

Thank you for the response!  I reviewed the submitted crash report and the attached files and found this error:

This error message seems to indicate that Quicken isn't quite crashing, but instead being "force-closed" by another program.

Do you happen to use Windows Ransomware Defender or any other type of antivirus/firewall software in parallels that could possibly be blocking the export?

Thanks again,

Sarah
  • omc
    omc Member ✭✭
    Sarah,

As far as I know I'm not using any antivirus software in Parallels. I've checked Windows settings and Virus & Threat Protection is turned off. Parallels Security screen in Settings does not indicate that any security software has been enabled.

I believe I once spoke with Parallels support, who recommended that I not run with Windows antivirus & security enabled, because Parallels have sufficient protection.

But doesn't it seem unlikely that this would be the cause, since export-report-to-excel works for smaller amounts of data. (It crashes for two years of transactions. but runs fine with for six months.)
  • rab1954
    rab1954 Member ✭✭
    I too am having the same problem. I was able to export a register for smaller accounts, but the larger activity account is causing an error and Quicken closes. I have sent a report through BugSplat that automatically pops up.
  • Same problem for me. Very annoying as I would like to work on my budget items in Excel and cannot export last year's data.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're running Windows emulation on a Mac using Parallels ...
    are you sure you have assigned enough RAM to Parallels (and Windows) so neither of those can run out of memory?
    AFAIK, you need at least 8 GB RAM for Parallels + Windows 10 + Quicken.
    A properly configured virtual memory (paging file) in Windows should also help.
    This is not to say that there isn't a memory management bug in Quicken ...
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thought ...
    where are you sending the export file to? A network - connected drive outside the Windows environment? Or are you writing to, e.g., the Windows C:-drive's \Documents folder?
  • I have the same problem with exporting a years' worth of itemized categories to Excel. I have sent the crash reports in a couple of times, but clearly, based on the above comments, there is a problem here that needs to be looked into. I've had to use the workaround of exporting the report to a text file then importing the file and converting it in Excel. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing.
  • aka rEx
    aka rEx Member ✭✭
    I think I have resolved this issue.

I have been able to duplicate the failure and the solution. The problem was a large number in the Memo field.

In my case this string was: 891019721088910197210889434432819 which I believe Excel was viewing as a number and converting it to 8.9101972108891E+32. A very large number. I am guessing that, as a number, it was too large for template that Quicken uses to move the data into Excel.

I systematically reduced the number until I was able to get the report to run which was the removal of the last 5 digits: 8910197210889101972108894344; at this point the report generated without issue.

I believe it is a number issue and NOT length of the string in this error because when I introduced a space into the original string:
    8910197210889101 97210889434432819 and the report generated without issue.

I have submitted this via bug splat.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    aka rEx said:
    I think I have resolved this issue.

I believe it is a number issue and NOT length of the string in this error because when I introduced a space into the original string:
    8910197210889101 97210889434432819  and the report generated without issue.

I have submitted this via bug splat.
    Interesting!
    Which brings up the question: Why is something trying to interpret the Memo text as a number when the Memo fields should be exported as quoted text strings, "891019721088910197210889434432819"?
    Hello, programmers, are you listening?

• mmillis
    mmillis Member
    THANKS AKA rEX. The memo issue took care of the crash for me as well. I just customized the output file to exclude the memo field. Not a perfect solution as at times the memo field is important, but I can always go back to the original quicken register and pick up the important memos for excel. It was easier than going through all the memo fields in the register and trying to figure out which ones were crashing the system. Q programmers please fix the memo issue. THX
This discussion has been closed.