My Quicken for Windows is still hanging following an update

Year is 2020 Windows. Version is R24.11 I do not use the cloud at all and do not using mobile Quicken at all. I do not ever do automatic bill pay and do not connect to creditors online. I have tried EVERYTHING recommended in the recent troubleshooting recommendations (animations, clean data file, shorten data file, deleting log file and the rest) from late december that you 'fixed' on Jan 21 2020 and closed the file. I get donuts, followed by donuts after an update, it hangs Windows. I usually have to close the program through Task Manager. I am a huge fan of this program and will do most anything to keep using it. But this is just not working correctly and I'm ready to NOT renew the subscription. :(

Best Answer

• lindsay
    lindsay Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks to several of you who suggested fixes for the problem posted. Although none of these seemed to improve the problem, (so I left the system setup/settings as before), as soon as I ran the R24.24 update, this problem has completely vanished.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• lindsay
    lindsay Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the suggestion. I have run validate, and super validate on various versions of the file, and I have cut the age/size of the file several times. Have also installed/reinstalled/rebooted many times over the 2 month course of this problem. The implications of the suggestion are that data corruption is the only reason why I am having this problem. If that's true, then the data file from 3 months ago should not be giving me such a problem and I will pursue this (but not optimistic). Thanks for the suggested help. :)
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • lindsay
    lindsay Member ✭✭
    Quicken Data File and Quicken Backup File are launched from flash drive J:\home\junk1\junk2\Q2020_DataBackup\ The entire J drive is backed up using SyncToy 2.1 to a C: drive on the laptop. None of the data are stored on any cloud, including OneDrive, google drive, or DropBox. Windows Defender is enabled. I cannot access Controlled Folder Access because TrendMicro is managing the Antivirus settings.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest moving the Quicken folder to C:\Users\<Username>\Documents.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • lindsay
    lindsay Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks to several of you who suggested fixes for the problem posted. Although none of these seemed to improve the problem, (so I left the system setup/settings as before), as soon as I ran the R24.24 update, this problem has completely vanished.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    lindsay said:

> "R 24.24"
    Did you just return from a trip to the future or is that a typo?
    AFAIK, R 24.14 is the latest available patch release ...
    Thanks for letting us know that your problem is solved.
  • lindsay
    lindsay Member ✭✭
    hahahaha yup im the beta tester from the future....sorry... R24.14
This discussion has been closed.