How can all attachments be exported from the QDF file?

Options
I understand that attachments can be individually managed, however, I would like to extract all attachments from the QDF file. I tried using Mitec SS Viewer, but anything I pulled out of the QDF (e.g. pdf) comes up as corrupted on an attempt to open.

Comments

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    martinb0820 ,

Instead of directly attaching to a Transaction, via scanning, I would use a program like PaperPort from https://www.kofax.com/Products/paperport  or
    FileCenter from https://www.filecenterdms.com/

Save the item in Paperport or FileCenter and then attach the file to the transaction.

Why do I do it like that? Because once attached to a transaction, you can only remove the attachments one at a time, or viewing the attachment, one at a time and saving it as, in order to create a copy.to save outside of Quicken.

You can not export of the attachments at one time.

The Attachments are encrypted inside of the data file, as is all the other information, that's why the images are corrupted, because they are encrypted.

Attach a copy of the receipts, not the only image copy.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As thecreator said, there is no way to get the attachments out except one at a time, through Quicken. Even if you could do it via SSView (which I also tried), there is no user-visible way to link each attachment file to its transaction.
    I actually embarked on this one-at-a-time project when I had some free time, but got partway through and realized I was doing it wrong. I was filing the attachments by each one's date, but it turns out the attachment's date is not necessarily the same as the transaction's date, and the latter is what I wanted to use as the index to the attachments. So one of these days, I'll start over.
    The only hint I can provide to make this obnoxious task easier is to sort the register by the attachment column. Then they're at least all together and you can just go down the rows.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A few years ago they made the decision to encrypt all attachments.  It use to be an option that the user could select, but no more.  As such the only program that can extract attachments is Quicken.  And Quicken this has always been an area where it lacks what people really need and that is a "filing system" where you can browse, search, and select.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As thecreator said, there is no way to get the attachments out except one at a time, through Quicken. Even if you could do it via SSView (which I also tried), there is no user-visible way to link each attachment file to its transaction.
    I actually embarked on this one-at-a-time project when I had some free time, but got partway through and realized I was doing it wrong. I was filing the attachments by each one's date, but it turns out the attachment's date is not necessarily the same as the transaction's date, and the latter is what I wanted to use as the index to the attachments. So one of these days, I'll start over.
    The only hint I can provide to make this obnoxious task easier is to sort the register by the attachment column. Then they're at least all together and you can just go down the rows.
    Yes, if you get lazy and opt to attach images say on Saturday, when you purchased on Monday, the image date defaults to the day you attach to the transaction, not to the date of the transaction, itself. So the date is wrong and you need to see the Date the image contains and do a Save As, instead of simply saving the image.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

This discussion has been closed.