Don't understand QIF and .QFX export/import

Options
I have an old brokerage account in a Quicken file. I want to export ONE fund from that file into a new brokerage account Quicken file including all of the transactions from that ONE fund. Can I do that? I can't find any detailed instructions or explanations of what the QIF and .QFX files are or what they do. I'm using Windows 10 & Quicken Deluxe 2018. All updates have been installed.

Comments

• JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can't do what you want, at least not without a lot of knowledge about the QIF and QFX formats, enough for you to generate your own QIF or QFX files.

There isn't a financial institution I know that will generate one of these formats with only one fund in them.  You would have to do something like maybe download to CSV and then use Excel to filter out the transactions you don't want and then find a CSV to QIF/QFX converter.  All of which would be quite difficult.

Another approach might be to download all the securities to an account and then use Quicken's "Move Transaction" command to move what you want to the other account.  You get to the "Move Transactions" command from the gear icon in the investment account.  But be warned many people have reported having problems with this command.  It seems to be fine for some people, but not for others.  Make sure you have good backups before you attempt any of this.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • Jonelle
    Jonelle Member ✭✭
    Options
    JustMeHere, thanks for your reply. I finally did find that the export/import of QIF & QFX data is not available for investment accounts. I checked out your suggestion, the Move Transaction feature, & found that it won't help me, either. It is for moving transactions within the same Quicken file. I guess I wasn't clear in my question. I have 2 separate Quicken investment files & I want to move one fund from 1st Quicken file (e.g. "me") to a 2nd Quicken file (e.g. "joint"). Since there are a lot of transactions to be moved, I'll simply continue to maintain 2 Quicken files.
  • JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jonelle said:
    I guess I wasn't clear in my question. I have 2 separate Quicken investment files & I want to move one fund from 1st Quicken file (e.g. "me") to a 2nd Quicken file (e.g. "joint"). Since there are a lot of transactions to be moved, I'll simply continue to maintain 2 Quicken files.
    Oh, yes I misunderstood what you wanted to do.

You are going to run into a similar problem though in that you can export using QIF and import that QIF (with a trick), but the export will be a time range, and not be filtered by a given security.  What might work a combination of that and the move transactions once they are in the new data file.

Here is how to get a QIF file imported into an investment account:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7150750/faq-how-to-import-qif-files-into-non-cash-accounts-post-q2004 

Note this is only for "pre-subscription" versions of Quicken.  In the subscription version they removed this "GUI block", so you can import directly into investment accounts using the GUI.

But that brings up another point, you didn't state what version of Quicken you are using.  The Move Transactions command is quite new, and I forget what version of Quicken they put it into.  You might not have it.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
This discussion has been closed.