Quicken install just destroyed my Quicken 2016 and then gave me an error code!

Melissa
Melissa Member ✭✭
I just bought a disk of Quicken Starter, on Amazon, for a 14 month subscription. I tried to install it, and the FIRST thing it did was destroy my Quicken 2016 installation, that I OWNED! Then it tells me that it cant install, with an error message!

I cant even use my checkbook now, and it won't even do me any good to return this to Amazon!

Comments

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You made a mistake in buying the Starter Version, when you should have purchased the Deluxe Edition, instead. See:  https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-data-access-guarantee 

Also you can't have Quicken 2016 and Quicken Starter Subscription on the same partition or in the same operating system.

It will work, if you don't skip a step.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Melissa
    Melissa Member ✭✭
    I asked on Amazon before switching from Quicken Home Business 2016, to this latest Quicken Starter, and everyone said that it would be fine, just for having a checkbook program, which was all I ever needed. No one mentioned this install issue.

So I wound up creating another folder on my D: drive and naming it Quicken. Then it installed. But I had to go through 2 more hours of torture, with login problems, getting codes sent to me, them not working ( I already had a website login with Quicken, for the 2016 but am not sure if that was hurting. ) then getting an online chat agent, and after about 90 minutes of those 2 hours, and having him sharing my screens, we finally got it all working. Whew. If I'd known this, I might have kept 2016, with all the nags and hassles.

But NOW, I tried deleting that dead 2016 folder in my x86 programs area, and it won't delete. It says I've gotta have admin privileges, but I DO, for everything else, and it won't let me delete it. Any suggestions?
  • Melissa
    Melissa Member ✭✭
    Now I've got a password conflict between the new program and my website login, which no longer works.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never had the problems, you seemingly are having.
    Did you read my links?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Melissa
    Melissa Member ✭✭
    I'm not sure how those are relevant. I don't do online banking - never have, in fact that's why I just switched from Q Home & Business, to Q Starter. I never knew that it was all I needed, before. As far as backing stuff up, like I'm guessing you're thinking of it deleting my Q 2016, I didn't so much mind that, as it deleting it, AND not being able to install the newest version. Now that we resolved the issues and the newest one works, I'm ok with that. I just need to figure out how to delete that old folder now.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Sorry to read about all your troubles...
    1 - there can usually only be one program installed that is associated with a file type or task... ala DOC, PDF, and Quicken QDF - so any Quicken install process will delete any other previous versions found on your system.
    BUT - the data folder and data files will be un-touched and left intact.
    2 - when installing most programs, you either need to be signed into the Windows PC Admin user acct or prompted to authorize the software installation.  Depending upon what people have setup or turned on, or installed, or defaulted for - "protection" - there could be other Windows settings acting as a roadblock to software installs.  Sometimes people have no idea what they have turned on...
    3 - customer service - always tough when not looking over your shoulder

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.