No more auto backups?

You used to be able to tell Quicken where to backup your data and how often to do so at close of the application (ie: every third time). Apparently an update must have changed that. The option to choose where to backup still exists but how to name it (as in append date) and how often are gone.

Quicken Home & Business R19.8 Build 26.1.1938

Best Answer

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi "@Scott",

You are correct about the backup location on Auto backups - you can't change that location (as you can with manual backups). However the "how often" or "interval' in Q parlance - is still there,

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Scott
    Scott Member ✭✭✭
    Not sure we're on the same page Frankx.

I can change the location as it now saves to my NAS and not a sub folder in Documents. But it's now allowing me to say how often. Maybe I'm using the wrong term here. Then is when you go off the menu and can choose restore or backup. I choose backup. IE: every third time I close Quicken. I no longer see the option choose when Quicken backup up.
  • Oscar101
    Oscar101 Member ✭✭
    Quicken -> Edit -> Preferences -> Backup.

Though I'm on QHB current release (R25.10) the settings have been in the same place forever. Turn on manual backup reminder to get the prompt.

QHB keeps it's own backup set. The manual option lets you store another copy "someplace else".

Hence, I keep my primary working QDF file at \DATA\Quicken (and the automatic backups Quicken makes land in \DATA\Quicken\Backups\primary.$date-time-stamp-QDF.backup) .

The manual backups land in \Users\oscar\Reference\Quicken\primary-$date.QDF.backup. If I decide to do bulk edits (e.g., reorganizing categories) I will make a manual backup (e.g., \Users\oscar\Reference\Quicken\primary-$date-pre-cat-edits.QDF.backup) to this directory before starting the edits.

Is there any particular advantage to two sets of backups? Perhaps not. QHB will use the \DATA\Quicken\BACKUPS copies first if it decides that the working QDF file is unusable; in the 20 years I've been using QHB under its various names this has happened exactly once IIRC. This strategy is all about knowing which copy you're using to restore your QDF file.

Hope that helps.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi "@Scott"

I think we're on the same page - maybe just semantics.  Its the "every x time" that I call "interval" that's still there for "auto" backup.  But you are correct - you can't pick specific dates. 

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Scott
    Scott Member ✭✭✭
    In any case I'm wondering if anyone else see this change. My original statement is my concern. This is a backup you can enable and then make the choices to include data and how often to backup when closing Quicken.
  • Scott
    Scott Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Oscar 101: QHB keeps it's own backup set. The manual option lets you store another copy "someplace else".

Yes, I do some redundancy. I know there's the Quicken db file itself and then a backup directory under the Quicken folder that runs every so often. I like to do this other option to be sure I don't miss a day that may have had big changes.

But this is the issue I am having. In the version I have I no longer see this. You can go back to that path and do so manually which is now silly in my opinion when you could set it up to do so when closing before. Is this a push to get us to upgrade?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott,

There is a "Manual backup reminder" available - which you can set for to pop-up for every x number of Q sessions that typically prompts when you close Quicken.  That can also be accessed in the Edit menu >Preferences > Backup.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That could be what you are thinking of...

• Scott
    Scott Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    thecreator -

I think this is where I'm making my mistake (looking in the wrong place). I'm replacing my desktop with a laptop. The desktop has a secondary internal drive (where these backups were talking about went to - this db file was restored onto the laptop). Both computers can access the NAS but the laptop doesn't have a secondary internal drive so I'm wanting to point this backup to the NAS (mirrored) now. I had redundancy setup as a safety net because the backups are taken at different times so I just don't want to miss out on data if I need to restore. I work in Quicken frequently and tracking quite a lot. The backups are done automatically so I figured why not.

I'll look into this. Thanks!
    Scott
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Scott .

You have  Network-attached Storage Unit. If you a Business, then having a Mirrored is a necessity. but if you are a Home User, you actually lose space when setting up in a Raid configuration

I also have Network-Attached Storage Unit.. I map its Hard Drive to all computer operating systems as Z:\
    I created a Folder on Z:\ called Quicken Backup.

I back up to the folder, after making changes to the Data File. Sometimes I make a Backup after each use.

Remember you can restore from the folder to the other location.

The Default Backup location is the Desktop. You need to click on Change.

Questions?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Scott
    Scott Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    thecreator - yes, thank you, I haven't had to set this up in so long I forgot.

But yes, I has a business for years. I haven't for a while now but I've stuck with the process.
This discussion has been closed.