Can I install and run Quicken on Drive D?

My Drive C is very full (only 4 GB is free) and drive D is basically empty. I'm looking for things to move to drive D and the Quicken products (Quicken and TurboTax) came to mind.

Best Answer

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    There are 2 areas for any software.... the program itself + it's supporting Windows software config files... and then there is your "data" files....
    ie MS Word program +all your DOC files.
    I would suggest you look at all your Drive C: user data folders for reference and migrate what has the largest impact .....
    BUT - be careful not to break any software looking for where their data files are stored...
    - Documents
    - Music
    - Pictures
    - Videos
    My Quicken folder has about 5GB of files.... QDF data and all the backups -
    (there is another set of backups on external hard drives)

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Out of curiosity I checked how much space Quicken is using in Program Files (this the only part that would move), and it is only 350MB. TurboTax on the other hand is 1GB, a bit better, but most likely Like Rockek J Squirrel said your documents, photos, videos and such most likely taking up much more space.

To move one of these you can bring up File Explorer and right click on say Videos -> Properties -> Location -> Move...
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Cleanup on aisle %TEMP%   ;)
    I'd recommend cleaning up any accumulated junk from the Temp folder.
    If you know how to change environment variables in Windows, I'd also do this:
    • Create a folder \Temp on the D drive
    • Change the environment variables for your Windows userID named TEMP and TMP to point to D : \Temp (without the spaces in between)
    • Reboot Windows.
  • Eric Johnson
    Eric Johnson Member ✭✭
    I have few photos and no music or videos. Drive C is all applications. I'll drop the idea of using Quicken to free up space and look elsewhere.

Thanks.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @""Eric Johnson" ,

You might want to turn off System Restore for your C:\ Drive. When it is running it takes up a lot of space and can cause problems.

Manually clean your \Temp Folders.

Download CCleaner Free from: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner

What is the size of your C:\ Drive?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

This discussion has been closed.