Help with upgrade from Q 2017 to Q 2020

Options
edalee22
edalee22 Member
I am confused by Quicken's Membership. Sounds like something I don't need. I have 2017 Delux Version R19.7 and want to upgrade to 2020 Delux. I go online only to download credit card statements, no stock results, nor bill paying. no need for Cloud. Tried downloading a 2020 update; got message that "Quicken was not on this computer". I am not very computer literate. Like Quicken, need your help.

Best Answer

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just to clarify ....  Quicken has changed their business model and some "wording".
    If you want to retain and use any of the "online" features, like your downloading CC transactions, you need to "renew" your Subscription (Membership) to Quicken... it's now a yearly subscription to retain these online features.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• sfo777
    sfo777 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have Q2017. I bought a 2020 licence code from Amazon.

Now what?
    I am told to go to Quicken.com/activate

3 choices
    1) I'm a new member
    2) I'm renewing/changing my current membership
    3) I'm installing on another computer

I'm not #1 because I have had Quicken for many years
    I'm not #3 because I am installing on an existing computer

Both of these download the software apparently.

#2 says to go to "Help" and "Enter Activation Code" ... but my Quicken 2017 does not have this option.

So why are there no directions for me?

If I download 2020 and enter my code, can I simply open my 2017 file?

Does it need to be converted somehow?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi, sfo777,
    Your purchase of the 2020 activation code means that you will need to download the laters version of the Quicken subscription application - effectively updating your Quicken program.  Once you've downloaded the new Quicken program and open your 2017 Quicken data file, your quicken data will be converted to run on the new program and you'll simply pickup where you left off, but with the latest version of the Quicken applications. 
    Let us know if you have any additional questions or problems.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sfo777 said:
    I have Q2017. I bought a 2020 licence code from Amazon.

Now what?
    I am told to go to Quicken.com/activate

3 choices
    1) I'm a new member
    2) I'm renewing/changing my current membership
    3) I'm installing on another computer

I'm not #1 because I have had Quicken for many years
    I'm not #3 because I am installing on an existing computer

Both of these download the software apparently.

#2 says to go to "Help" and "Enter Activation Code" ... but my Quicken 2017 does not have this option.

So why are there no directions for me?

If I download 2020 and enter my code, can I simply open my 2017 file?

Does it need to be converted somehow?
    Hi @sfo777 ,

See this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

Go to:  https://www.quicken.com/activate

Click on I'm installing on another computer. Save the File being downloaded.

Now follow the instructions in my procedure to remove Quicken 2017 after you do a Manual Backup of your Data File.

After running CCleaner Free, install the downloaded File. After it is installed, choose I'm Upgrading and Restore your Manual Backup file you made.

Sign in using your Quicken User ID and Password. Do not worry about the ADS, because this will show you what happens when your Membership / Subscription lapses.

With Quicken open, click Help. Now click Enter Activation Code.

There is no Data File conversion between Quicken 2017 and Quicken Subscription Products.

You can always go back to Quicken 2017 for Manual Data Entry, only.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

This discussion has been closed.