Why would holdings still show security with zero shares, cost and value in portfolio?

JRod
JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
Why would Quicken still show a security for which all shares are sold and has no cost or market value? I can't find what is causing this. In some of the reinvestment lots I see Quicken has recorded a -0.00 Gain/Loss(%) but doesn't make sense since price is $1 and cost and market value are identical so there should be no gain or loss and should be just 0.00 (zero). In other area, it is showing a -0.01 cost basis but there are no place holder transactions.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for the help. Figured it out with the help of your questions and options to check. The security is actually a cash money market fund used as a sweep account/stock in the IRA. In all the prior sells, it seems that it never automatically picked the lots by shares first in like the other securities. I had to go back to all the sells and specify the lots. I also had short sells for same day buys and sells, which I guess does not work well in this situation. I had to change all the short sells to plain sells and then I would get the option to specify lots to specify first in. After working through all the sells of the lots, I now see that security cleared from the portfolio view. No more 0 shares security in the list.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Some users do opt to skip the sweep funds in which case they understand the cash balance in Quicken should match the sweep fund holding. Step 1-Don’t accept downloaded sweep transactions. Step 2- Be prepared for Quicken to report the mismatch when it compares its data to the brokerage data. 

Answers

• JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    Added screen capture of lines from holdings view in portfolios with the problem. These are just market cash funds with price that never changes from $1.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Where are you seeing these reported?  Portfolio Views, I would suspect.

There is an option on portfolio views to show or not show closed lots.  Check that out..
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I look at one investment account and click Holdings button to jump from the register to see the portfolio view. I guess it doesn't consider the lots closed or sold since when I click on show closed lots it shows a bunch of securities that have been sold before. However, this one security doesn't seem to close even after selling all the shares.
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    The shares were removed as I was doing an IRA transfer from one account to another. I am thinking something went wrong and why this is happening with this particular security, but now an unable to fix it. I still don't understand if all the shares are removed or sold why it would still show up in the portfolio list.
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for the help. Figured it out with the help of your questions and options to check. The security is actually a cash money market fund used as a sweep account/stock in the IRA. In all the prior sells, it seems that it never automatically picked the lots by shares first in like the other securities. I had to go back to all the sells and specify the lots. I also had short sells for same day buys and sells, which I guess does not work well in this situation. I had to change all the short sells to plain sells and then I would get the option to specify lots to specify first in. After working through all the sells of the lots, I now see that security cleared from the portfolio view. No more 0 shares security in the list.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I realize you have gotten your issue resolved and off the following only for educational purposes.  

Buys do not cover short sells.  If you have a short sell of 10 shares and subsequently buy 10 shares (Buy not CvrShrt), then Quicken will show that you own the net of 0 shares.  But Quicken is also still tracking that you have a short position and a long position of 10 shares each.  That is the sort of case that results in Quicken showing a 0-share holding in an unexpected fashion.  That is why it is important to avoid unintended Short Sell transactions and likewise to properly cover short sale position you do choose to take.   
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @q_lurker - I've been learning on my own using Quicken for tracking investments over the years. Appreciate any educational information. I did not know this piece of information on the short sell and how it complicates things with different position tracking. I am surely to avoid it for the future where possible.
    I also wish my investment portfolio did not use a security as a means to track sweep funds. I think it just adds complications for something that can be a simple cash balance in the register/account.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Some users do opt to skip the sweep funds in which case they understand the cash balance in Quicken should match the sweep fund holding. Step 1-Don’t accept downloaded sweep transactions. Step 2- Be prepared for Quicken to report the mismatch when it compares its data to the brokerage data. 
This discussion has been closed.