One-Step Update downloaded older transactions and shows wildly incorrect ending balances

I opened Quicken and OneStep update ran like usual. No errors or prompts. When it finished, I had about 300 extra "uncleared" transactions, dating all the way back to May 2017. On top of that, my "ending balance" showed roughly 19.6 *billion* dollars, which is the stuff of dreams, but sadly highly inaccurate. Any thoughts?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I agree that it would likely be easier to go back to your last backup, however it might make sense to do the validate & repair routine on your current file first, to see if there might be some damage to the file.  I'd suggest you follow these instructions and let us know what you find:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @JDB97,

Obviously, something went really wrong.  Can you give us some more information?

Like:
    1) your Quicken and Windows versions & builds
    2) Were the downloaded transactions across many accounts, a few accounts or one account?
    3) Were the transactions from one or more financial institutions?  Which types of accounts?
    4) Did you notice whether any if the account registers had "placeholder entries"?
    5) When was your last backup?

Get back to us & we'll go from there.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• JDB97
    JDB97 Member ✭✭
    Stats: Quicken Deluxe 2020 v. R25.18 build 27.1.25.18 / Windows 10 Home v. 1909

Initially I thought that all my accounts had been affected - all checking. One at Chase, two at Ally, and one at UcB. In looking at them again just now, only the Chase account appears to have "extras" so that narrows it down somewhat.

I don't see any placeholder entries, and the last backup was 3/13/20 - I have automatic weekly backups going.

Would it be easier to just revert to the most recent backup? I hate to just "start over" without figuring out what went wrong tho.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I agree that it would likely be easier to go back to your last backup, however it might make sense to do the validate & repair routine on your current file first, to see if there might be some damage to the file.  I'd suggest you follow these instructions and let us know what you find:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Frankx