Linked bills and projected balances

So i know my monthly electric bill is around $200 a month. i have this bill added to Quicken and repeats monthly. It shows in my projected balances. But once i link the bill to an online biller, the monthly estimated bill is removed from the projected balances. Can anyone explain this behavior or am i doing something wrong when i link the biller? This behavior gives the false sense of security that i have more money than i really do... or will have.

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    When we choose to link a biller and a reminder, the reminder obtains an estimate for the bill from the biller.  If you want the reminder to use a different amount as an estimate, do not link the biller and the reminder.  In other words, use a manual bill reminder.  Note: You may still use an online bill to download and pay the bill from a biller.
  • muzicman61
    muzicman61 Member ✭✭✭
    Well thanks for the quick response but it sounds like you are saying i need to have the online bill to get my balance when it comes due and a manual bill for projected balances. That just seems like terrible logic and programming. Am i missing something?
  • muzicman61
    muzicman61 Member ✭✭✭
    Well i hope they are reading this because there stated position is just wrong. How can they provide a more accurate projected cash flow when they don't include the projected bill in their forecast? if i did that with every bill the projected balance 3 months out would make it look like i would have thousands more than i will actually have.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well i hope they are reading this because there stated position is just wrong. How can they provide a more accurate projected cash flow when they don't include the projected bill in their forecast? if i did that with every bill the projected balance 3 months out would make it look like i would have thousands more than i will actually have.
    Their stated position is not wrong and they did not say more accurate.  Using the real bill due dates and amounts does produce a more correct near term projection.  All we need to do is unlink the reminder from the online bill and we can set the estimate we would like used.
This discussion has been closed.