How do I transfer corporate bonds from one account to another

In managing my investments, my financial advisor advised me to create a new account and move some of the assets there from another account. I was able to transfer stocks and ETFs easily, but there is no provision for transferring bonds from one account to another. How do I do it? It is 15,000 in Verison Communications.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Hi @JoeU,

You should be able to use the "transfer shares" process - same as you used for the transfer of stock.  You could also use the "remove shares" and then the "add shares" to do it, however the advantage of the "transfer shares" method is that it acomplishes the transfer with only one entry (while the remove & then add approach requires two transactions).

Let me know if you have any questions,

Franks

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• JoeU
    JoeU Member ✭✭
    Frankx,
    Thanks for the reply. What do I put for number of shares, the number of bonds. In my case 15,000. Is that right?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @JoeU,

Here's the guidance on entering bond transactions in Quicken.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-add-bond-quicken-security-list

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• JoeU
    JoeU Member ✭✭
    Frankx,

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I am not starting a new bond, but transferring an existing bond investment I have from one account to another. Do I have to create a new bond in the new account and then put the current bond information in that "new" bond and then delete the old bond?
    I am extremely happy with Quicken, but this is the only stumbling block I have ever encountered. I'd like to get this right.Thanks,
    JoeU
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you look at the holdings for the account, what does that show for the share count on the bond (I would expect it to be 150, but you should confirm.)  That is how many shares you transfer.

Or you simply select "all shares" having specified that security.  
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @JoeU,

You should enter the same number as you had recorded in the other account (i.e. the account you are transferring from.  It sounds like that was 15,000.

Frankx

• JoeU
    JoeU Member ✭✭
    Thanks Guys I Got it! :)
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JoeU So which was it?  150 or 15000 or some other number?
  • JoeU
    JoeU Member ✭✭
    q_lurker,

It was 15000 Thanks for the help
This discussion has been closed.