Duplicate credit card payment transactions

When I pay my credit card I manually enter the payment in my checking and credit card registers as a transfer. Problem is that every month, Quicken duplicates the transaction so I end up having 2 identical entries. It seems that Quicken recognizes duplicate transactions when it comes to other bill payments that I enter manually - why doesn't it recognize it with credit card payments? Thank you.

Best Answer

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Are you enter transfer transactions in both registers?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • JenB
    JenB Member ✭✭
    I enter the payment in one register (checking account) and enter the credit card account in the 'transfer' field, and then the transaction shows up in the credit card register as well.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Okay, that's good. Do you then download transactions in both accounts? Is the downloaded transaction not matching with the manually entered one?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • JenB
    JenB Member ✭✭
    Yes I download transactions but Quicken doesn’t seem to recognize the one I entered manually and enters another matching transaction. The amounts match. This problem seems to happen in the credit card side of the transaction, not the checking account side, if that makes sense. So what I’ve been doing is deleting the transaction that Quicken enters but then I get an alert telling me that I’m deleting a downloaded transaction. It’s just a pain, and I don’t understand why Quicken doesn’t recognize it since the amounts match. Thank you.
  • JenB
    JenB Member ✭✭
    Ok thank you - I’ve done that with other transactions where the amounts don’t match and it does work. I’m not sure if I’ve tried it with this problem because the amounts match, so I haven’t thought of doing it. I’ll give it a try 🙂 and 🤞 it works!
This discussion has been closed.