File/Open Quicken file does not find Quicken Data file

When I go to the File/Open Quicken file it does not take me to the Quicken Data files. (And I have several) Instead it takes me to the QDF backup data file. Also When I go to Find Quicken Data Files it takes me to the backup file and not even the most current one.

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020 Answer ✓
    Question from ps56K Just curious - Why is your Quicken folder placed under the /Public/ tree vs just under the normal /User/ tree ?
    No reason it needs to be there, just where my other folders are. I started this location years ago. But I could change if needed. Thanks
    I also keep my Quicken data under Public. Typically Public is shared on the network and User is not and I do copy my data files across the LAN. There is no need to move the data from Public to User.
    Really, the easiest thing is to use the butt-network and both of you take turns physically sitting in front of Computer 1 and forget about Computer 2. That's what Mrs. Squirrel and I do.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    What version ....  Help --> About Quicken
    When you do the File - Open - and it shows you some file folders,
    can't you just navigate to the correct /quicken-files/ folder
    and open the correct QDF file that is there ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Roger McCartney
    Roger McCartney Member ✭✭
    Year: 2020 Version R25.21 Build 27.1.25.21
    Yes, I can navigate there. But it is in a different location which is quite a few clicks away. In the past it always remembered the location. I of course have 4
    files at the bottom of the File screen so I can get to most of them quickly. But something has changed in the software or in the settings that tells the Open Quicken File. The find Quicken files button also does not go the the most recent file. It goes to backup files which does not show the most recent file.
    Hopes this makes sense. Thanks for your help.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Roger McCartney
    edited March 2020
    See image of path. Windows defender will not let me access Contolled Folder Access see image. However it worked before and I never changed the settings. I back up to my hard drive and then use carbonite to backup hard drive and also use an external drive back up as a secondary back up.
    One puzzling fact: We have two computers with Quicken which are networked with a wired LAN. We both access the same Data files and her computer works fine and knows where the files are. Now once again they both worked fine until recently. Thanks for your help.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Added OP instream screen image - for easier view -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious - Why is your Quicken folder placed under the /Public/ tree
    vs just under the normal /User/ tree ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Greg_the_Geek

Can I install or use Quicken on a network?

We don't recommend sharing or attempting to sync Quicken data files between computers on a network, as this may lead to data file damage.  We also strongly advise against installing Quicken on a network. Quicken is not designed to be used over a network or shared drive.

Quicken incrementally saves your data as it's entered. Saving Quicken data files locally (directly on your computer's hard drive), and not over a network, decreases the risk of data loss. Network instability or the use of a single data file by multiple people at the same time will often lead to data integrity issues.

Due to the many possible network configurations, Quicken doesn't offer technical assistance for this type of configuration.

Can I Install Quicken On Multiple Computers?

• Roger McCartney
    Question from ps56K Just curious - Why is your Quicken folder placed under the /Public/ tree vs just under the normal /User/ tree ?
    No reason it needs to be there, just where my other folders are. I started this location years ago. But I could change if needed. Thanks
  • Roger McCartney
    Greg the Geek: Thanks for the post on network use: Can I install or use Quicken on a network?
    I would like to clarify what we are doing. We have only 2 computers on our LAN. We keep all the data files on "computer 1" which I use. We have a second computer "Computer 2" which my wife uses to write checks and post deposits on occasion. She will access the file over our LAN. We never use the same file at the same time. Is this not acceptable? Any suggestions? Thanks for that input.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    "We also strongly advise against installing Quicken on a network. Quicken is not designed to be used over a network or shared drive."

You can backup to a network or cloud drive and then restore on the second computer and reverse the process.
  • Roger McCartney
    See if this is the best solution: Use One computer for part of my QDF files exclusively and Use the other computer for the remainder of QDF's. So none of the data would go across the network. We will just have to hop from one computer to the other! I have been using Quicken since 1994 and have used the network for 20 years without trouble. But I do appreciate your input as we don't want any trouble with the data file. Thanks
  • Roger McCartney
    To be certain... I can back up my file over the network. So from Computer 1 to Computer 2. Correct? Thanks
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020 Answer ✓
    I also keep my Quicken data under Public. Typically Public is shared on the network and User is not and I do copy my data files across the LAN. There is no need to move the data from Public to User.
    Really, the easiest thing is to use the butt-network and both of you take turns physically sitting in front of Computer 1 and forget about Computer 2. That's what Mrs. Squirrel and I do.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.