End of year copy doesn't work?

Options
End of year copy doesn't work?

Had same problem last year. >File >File Operations >Year-End Copy
Current Data File > Check "I only want transactions in my current data file starting with this date: 1/1/2020
Archive Data File > "default" This archive data file will contain ... 12/31/2019
> OK

Files are created etc.

Which file would you like to use? > Current file > OK
*** LOOK above, see what the definition of "Current Data File" is ?

But, it doesn't work. It's still the old file (with maybe a couple changes?). 4 years of stuff now with big "R" in the reconcile column. It will not create the EOY file correctly.

I'm running on a Brand New ThinkPad WorkStation. Win 10 Pro
Last year running on a 7 year old ThinkPad WorkStation. Win 7 Pro

Big Hint regarding failure (maybe ?)
A year ago, I was running 2010 or something. Went through multi release upgrade sequence to get my data compatible for the Windows Subscription Version. I didn't run Year-End-Copy for a couple years. Then EOY 2019 I tried and gave up. So now EOY 2020 I want it to work!
The file works otherwise. There are proper "R's" for all reconciled fields. I've run Validate & Repair multiple times last year and this year. I've tried to create EOY 2019, 2020 about a dozen times now. I never had a problem with this when I was running old 2004(?), then 2010(?). Before the subscription version everything worked.

2nd big Hint.
I run everything in my life through DropBox. 100% of data is in a dropbox backed up folder (even complicated stuff like CAD vaults). Programs are on the computer. I have for a decade now. I have run the EOY Copy utility with dropbox on and off, just in case something weird is happening. This can't actually be the problem (if you are familiar with how dropbox works).

3rd Hint.
I am not logged into any Quicken services that I know of, I always quit out of the logon screens. I am probably logged into the update service though. Otherwise the program wouldn't run.

So, any ideas? David

Best Answer

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Regarding YEC, see this FAQ: FAQ - Year End Copy
    Regarding Dropbox, your data file should NOT be accessed from a DropBox folder, doing so can cause all sorts of issues and data file corruption.  Putting the Quicken backup files in DropBox is fine, but not the active data file.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• drd001
    drd001 Member
    Options
    1. Splasher, wrong, but thank you for the response.
    2. OMG, problem solved. The EOY files are correct, EXCEPT, all transactions that are between ANYTHING and an INVESTMENT account are still there. The EOY Year End Copy, does not clean out the INVESTMENT accounts and all transactions from the other accounts that feed the INVESTMENT accounts are retained. Hence: Years of data stay in my checking, business, savings, charge card accounts, whatever, because they may all transferring with the Investment accounts. I will deal with it, unless someone knows how to make the Investment accounts also create EOY Year End Copy - new files.
  • drd001
    drd001 Member
    Options
    Splasher, I think you are correct on both accounts. I don't reconcile investment accounts. I bet that would solve the issue. Maybe before 2015 (where the problem starts) I wasn't even tracking them in Quicken. I'm sure I don't use the investment accounts precisely as Quicken has intended them to be. I primarily handle investments differently, but I periodically "adjust" the balances for loss or gain, and I track my transactions related to personal/work accounts in and out of them, just to keep a picture within Quicken of "totals". Good call.
    Bottom line - Operator Error as Usual. I get to use that phrase at least weekly on my more complex work related software, so I'm used to it.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.