How do I determine % allocation of a security to the whole portfolio?

Quicken Mac 2007 had an invaluable feature(and can't find in any of your or competitive software: A PIE CHART w/wedges showing "type" of allocation, a "click" brought up the allocations in each wedge, and the main screen showed each allocation percentage to the whole.

This feature, allowing me to see how much of my total portfolio was invested in any single security was INVALUABLE. The feature combined all securities in the 5 different accounts so I could see the total of my holdings.

PLEASE RESTORE THIS FEATURE TO an UPGRADE TO Quicken Mac 2020.... which I OWN.

NOW !!!!!!!!

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR.... you guys and gals!!!

Adele

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Well, technically, it's 18 plus 11 "merged votes", so we're up to 29! ;) (When you see "merged votes" or "legacy votes" in a topic heading, it refer to votes from the previous forum platform which didn't transfer automatically when Quicken moved onto this forum software in February 2019.)

Until the developers get around to implementing some asset allocation reporting, you might want to experiment with which grouping setting in the investment portfolio is most useful to you, and then clicking the export icon to open in Excel or Numbers, where you can quickly calculate the percentages.

Part of what makes this more complicated to implement in Quicken than it might appear is that there are multiple requests for functionality changes that are related, such as being able to custom define asset classes rather than sticking to Quicken's limited choice of classes, and being able to change the pre-defined grouping of accounts in the left sidebar. Hopefully, they'll address a number of these inter-related issues together, since doing them piecemeal will frustrate as many people as they satisfy.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    @Adele Dreyer  First, understand that you're talking to mostly fellow users here, plus a few Quicken site moderators. None of us determine what the product development team works on.

Second, in terms of "What are you waiting for?":  There are literally hundreds of users requests for features, and I'm sure there are more than 50 which some users consider the most import, number one, completely obvious things to do. The problem is they can't do 'em all at once.

Third, you can help try to move this up the priority list by adding your vote for this idea on this thread: under the top post, in the blue box, click the little gray arrow under the vote counter and make sure the count goes up by one. 
  • Adele Dreyer
    Adele Dreyer Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Jacobs... voted... up to 18. Doubt if that will persuade the developers. I also called Quicken today, and they moved my request (agent said) to the team. Meanwhile, everything in my portfolio is declining and cash portion increasing and I'm not doing anything!
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Well, technically, it's 18 plus 11 "merged votes", so we're up to 29! ;) (When you see "merged votes" or "legacy votes" in a topic heading, it refer to votes from the previous forum platform which didn't transfer automatically when Quicken moved onto this forum software in February 2019.)

Until the developers get around to implementing some asset allocation reporting, you might want to experiment with which grouping setting in the investment portfolio is most useful to you, and then clicking the export icon to open in Excel or Numbers, where you can quickly calculate the percentages.

Part of what makes this more complicated to implement in Quicken than it might appear is that there are multiple requests for functionality changes that are related, such as being able to custom define asset classes rather than sticking to Quicken's limited choice of classes, and being able to change the pre-defined grouping of accounts in the left sidebar. Hopefully, they'll address a number of these inter-related issues together, since doing them piecemeal will frustrate as many people as they satisfy.
  • Adele Dreyer
    Adele Dreyer Member ✭✭
    Hi, Jacobs... (are you more than one person or did your mom & dad put that "s" on Jacob to confuse people?

You're great at responding in detail... enjoy your comebacks!

As to: here are multiple requests for functionality changes that are related, such as being able to custom define asset classes rather than sticking to Quicken's limited choice of classes,

Yes.... That is another phase of my frustration, but I thought I'd keep it simple.

As to the functionality I'd like, I'll experiment with the Excel spreadsheet thingy. All my holdings are at Fidelity, and they have some of this information, rather piecemeal...

So, it will be fun to watch the upgrades. Seems there have been a few small twiggles for Mac investors in the last couple of weeks. Do people still prefer PC's over Mac's? Wonder why!

🎹 Adele
  • jacobs
    @Adele Dreyer Just one person, ha ha! My last name Jacobs, which I entered very quickly the first time I visited this forum; had I given it more thought, or realized I'd be posting here so much, I definitely would have picked something more clever.

I've been a Mac user since the early days of Macs, through the near-death of Apple, to the happy times of seeing Macs become widely popular. The software situation for Mac users is better today than it used to be, but there are gaps in places. With Quicken, the shortcomings of the Mac program is due to a decision more than a decade ago to start over with modern technology -- a decision which actually positions Quicken Mac to be in better shape than Quicken Windows, which is built on software which has been extended, patched and tweaked over 30+ years. Unfortunately, former parent Intuit didn't invest enough in the Quicken Mac rebuild; years were squandered, and development became more piecemeal than it might have been. So the Mac developers are continuing to play catch-up and add functionality bit by bit. Everyone (including the developers) wishes it would go faster --and hopefully, over time, we'll all be satisfied with the improvements.
This discussion has been closed.