How is "Find Next" supposed to work? (grayed out now)

I would like to move to the next transaction in an account using "Find Next". It is grayed out in the menu when I select the transaction line or select some text in the Payee field for instance. Typing "Command G" moves the focus to the search box. I can type in a string which really does a filtered list of all transactions with that string. "Find Next" in my experience should move to the next transaction (forward or backward) that has the string - without filtering the list to those transactions. I'm wondering why it is grayed out first of all, and then why it isn't working as I expect. Thank you. (Quicken for Mac 2020, v5.15.3, OS X v10.11.6 (yes I know it is old))

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Find has always worked as a filter in the registers in QMac (as opposed to jumping through the transactions without filtering). My guess (and this is only a guess) is that the implementation included the "standard" find options found in other macOS apps even though these don't apply. It is perplexing, though, that Find > Use Selection for Find doesn't work and it's not a "standard" macOS Find command. 

You might want to use menu Help > Report a Problem to report this to the dev team. 

In the mean time, once the register is filtered by the search box, you can step forward or backward through the transactions using the up and down arrows on the keyboard.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • AlanMc
    AlanMc Member ✭✭
    It didn't work that way in Quicken 2007 (which I have been using until last fall). My goal was to see each specific transaction in the context of the other transactions and in my view, the real balance. When it produces a filtered list, the balance only reflects the listed transactions, which is not what I'm looking for.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestion to contact support. Good idea.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I could have been more clear. When I said "QMac", I meant since QM2015. I haven't used QM2007 since then, so my memory on that is a bit foggy.

I see your point about the value of finding transactions in context. It would be nice to have both options. Perhaps you'll want to search for and if you don't find, create an Idea post for that.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.