Permission needed

I have bought a new laptop and I've installed Quicken, no problem. When I try to open the data file I get an error message saying that I either do not have permission to do so or it is read only. Help please. No one else has ever used this computer. Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Bob Newman
    Bob Newman Member ✭✭✭
    Wow! Okay, here it goes. C:/USERS/OWNER/SUZ'S DOCUMENTS/QUICKEN DATA. (I am trying to move the file from C:/temp). I do not know anything about Windows Defender. I am not using One Drive, Dropbox or Google Backup.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Have you moved the file from C:/temp to C:/USERS/OWNER/SUZ'S DOCUMENTS/QUICKEN DATA?
  • Bob Newman
    Bob Newman Member ✭✭✭
    Quicken will not let me move it. I get the same error message.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Why are you using Quicken to move the file? Move it using File Explorer and then double click on the file to open it.
  • Bob Newman
    Bob Newman Member ✭✭✭
    I meant Quicken would not let me open the file.
  • Bob Newman
    Bob Newman Member ✭✭✭
    I can move it okay but when I double click it to run I get the same error message that I listed, I also get that error message when I try to open it through Quicken.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Have you looked at the Owner/Permissions of the file using File Manager? Where did this Quicken data file come from?
  • Bob Newman
    Bob Newman Member ✭✭✭
    The file came from Quicken. I do not know where Owner/Permissions is in the file manager but when I click on properties "read only" is not checked
  • Greg_the_Geek
    How did you transfer the file to the laptop? Have you tried creating a new Quicken data file as a test? 
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Are you using Quicken Starter by any chance?
  • Bob Newman
    Bob Newman Member ✭✭✭
    No it is not starter.
  • Bob Newman
    Bob Newman Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > How did you transfer the file to the laptop? Have you tried creating a new Quicken data file as a test? 

I transferred the file via my thumb drive. I'm not sure how I did it but initially I did trans... (Removed-Rant/Language)
  • Bob Newman
    Bob Newman Member ✭✭✭
    I think I'm just going to refund the new PC and go back to the old one which is so old now it will barely open anything but it will if you don't mind waiting for about 5 minutes.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you open other types of documents in SUZ'S DOCUMENTS, such as Word documents? If not, you could have a permissions problem on the folder SUZ'S DOCUMENTS.
    Can I assume you moved from an older version of Windows to Windows 10? Perhaps you should take the path of least resistance and use the pre-existing "Documents" folder instead of one you created yourself and maybe didn't get right.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Bob Newman
    Bob Newman Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    There is no problem with any other documents of any type.  This MUST be a Quicken problem.  Now when I try and launch Quicken I now get a huge error message "This app cannot be run on your PC" (even though the app has been running fine - just with the wrong data file).  I thank you for your attempt to help me but we have been going back and forth all day, are you a Quicken employee?  I have Quicken running on a different computer.  I'll try to muddle through with that although it is the starter version.  I hope it keeps working.  (Removed-Rant)
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I asked you if you were running Quicken Starter and you said you were not. Now you say "I'll try to muddle through with that although it is the starter version." If you have Starter, are you sure your subscription is valid? Have you signed into quicken.com using your Quicken ID/Password and checked the version and status. We're not Quicken employees, just other users trying to help.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited April 2020
    Where Microsoft goes, Quicken follows. MS Office 365 is an annual subscription product, and I regret updating my old, purchased Office.
    No one who has participated on this thread is a Quicken employee. If you haven't already, perhaps it is time for you to contact Quicken Support and let them share your screen. Of course, they are closed today.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Bob Newman
    Bob Newman Member ✭✭✭
    Where Microsoft goes, Quicken follows. MS Office 365 is an annual subscription product, and I regret updating my old, purchased Office.
    No one who has participated on this thread is a Quicken employee. If you haven't already, perhaps it is time for you to contact Quicken Support and let them share your screen. Of course, they are closed today.
    Of course, they are closed.  I have never heard of any other company closing for Good Friday.  You can buy a version of Office besides 365.  My Office 2010 is having no problems.
  • Bob Newman
    Bob Newman Member ✭✭✭
    I asked you if you were running Quicken Starter and you said you were not. Now you say "I'll try to muddle through with that although it is the starter version." If you have Starter, are you sure your subscription is valid? Have you signed into quicken.com using your Quicken ID/Password and checked the version and status. We're not Quicken employees, just other users trying to help.
    I guess I didn't make myself clear.  Most of our conversation has been related to the new laptop I bought my wife.  She is running Quicken Deluxe on that computer.  I had a version (Starter) on my laptop which I am trying to enter the last several month's worth of transactions into because I haven't needed to use it.  What I was saying was that we had the Starter version on my wife's old computer and Quicken made her upgrade it.  Is her upgrade also good on my computer and how would I get it if so?  Bob
  • Bob Newman
    Bob Newman Member ✭✭✭
    The Quicken on my computer now says deluxe.  It's too bad all the barbershops are closed due to the virus, that's how much I want to tear all of my hair out.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Your problem is making me tear my hair out, too. My problem is I have to get a new driver's license photo in June (assuming the DMV reopens) and that photo will have hippie hair for the next 10 years.
    But back to your problem. Right-click on the .QDF file, choose Properties, then go to the Details tab and see what it says for Attributes. Go to the Security tab and see what it says for your user name. Post screen shots if you can.

• Bob Newman
    Bob Newman Member ✭✭✭
    I should have known.  Good old Quicken phone support is also closed today!  Chat has an 11-minute wait but since we sent emails back and forth all day yesterday I think I really need the talk with someone.  
This discussion has been closed.