upgrading using a potentially damaged 2007 file

This discussion was created from comments split from: Issue converting Quicken Mac 2007 to both Mac 2017 & 2020?.

Comments

• JayDC
    JayDC Member ✭✭✭
    I am not sure that this is the correct discussion to post this, but others were closed and it appears that both participants are familiar with converting from Q07 to Q20 on mac. I have two errors on my current Q07. "Cannot save price" and "Free File is damaged. Try rebuilding file". I have saved a copy, tried Command+Option+B, to no avail. I would like to upgrade to Q20 subscription version, but am afraid the conversion will bring along damaged files and I will be in the same situation. Any thoughts on that?
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    JayDC said:
    I am not sure that this is the correct discussion to post this, but others were closed and it appears that both participants are familiar with converting from Q07 to Q20 on mac. I have two errors on my current Q07. "Cannot save price" and "Free File is damaged. Try rebuilding file". I have saved a copy, tried Command+Option+B, to no avail. I would like to upgrade to Q20 subscription version, but am afraid the conversion will bring along damaged files and I will be in the same situation. Any thoughts on that?

I requested this be broken off into a new question.

Yes, trying to upgrade from a corrupt file is not advisable. And, it sounds like you have tried the regular fixes. Your file may be totally corrupt.

I suggest that you open the file (which it sounds like you can) and export to QIF/reimport into a blank new file.

This may be a low fidelity conversion, and you may have to rebuild your price histories. But, if it might allow you a working data file to get into Q20 at which point you can move forward.

This discussion has been closed.