Editing Security Names

Options
JayDC
JayDC Member ✭✭✭
Here is an interesting one.... I define securities in an IRA as such Exxon-IRA, vs just Exxon in a taxable account. For some time in the past I used a designation Exxon-TVI, which was for an IRA in a job I used to have. Now, actually these are the same. All of these three have the same ticker XOM. I would like to get rid of the old Exxon-TVI and change it to Exxon-IRA, however, I am unable to change the name from Exxon-TVI to Exxon-IRA as it says "the security already exists". Any thoughts on this? Essentially I would like to merge the Exxon-TVI into Exxon-IRA. Thanks
Tagged:

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Which version of Quicken? Did you ever resolve your 2007 file corruption and move to 2020? (I posted a response to your question.)
  • JayDC
    JayDC Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the response. I didn't resolve the issues, so I bit the bullet and went with the new version. Migration went very well and I have not seen any evidence of the damaged filed....YET. I talked to Quicken tech rep and he didn't have a solution to the damaged file. Anyway, I really like the new format and it only took a few minutes to use it. Am sure I will find out some quirks but for now it is okay. I am in Wilmington. I think you are in NC too?
  • John_in_NC
    Options
    I'm in Statesville.

(Make backups before you make any changes.)

To merge securities, go into Windows:Securities and select the securities you wish to merge. You will see a Merge Securities button at the bottom.

I do suggest you setup XOM as the actual security and use that ticker across all holding accounts be them taxable or not. The account type will determine whether they are taxable or not. (You don't have to setup variations of the security to accomplish this.)

• JayDC
    JayDC Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I will give this a try. In Q07 you had to define whether a security was taxable or not, rather than defining it through the account. I like this better, but I now have a ton of securities with different name designations. I like the portfolio arrangement better as it seems to do a reasonably good job of keeping the prices updated during the trading day. Again, in Q07, you had to download prices periodically. I was comparing the prices against a charting program I have and it is a bit delayed, but acceptable. I think it gets the "end of the day" price
    correct.
  • John_in_NC
    Options
    Actually-in looking again, there is a "Tax Free" setting in the securities list, so I might not be 100% correct in my answer. My apologies if I am wrong-I want to research this a bit before I give any more answers. (I have an idea, but don't wish to share more possibly incorrect data.)
  • JayDC
    JayDC Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for being so diligent. Will do some research myself and wait for your response.
This discussion has been closed.